W220 Audio Gateway 2001 s320 cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

design guru

Car
2001 W220 Mercedes S320cdi & 2001 W208 CLK230K (SORN since 2008)
I have an S320cdi W220(2001) and have had issues with the sound on the comand where it cuts out for 3-4 seconds whilst the radio is on every 10 seconds. I have done some research and the most common issue is the audio gateway or the phone module. Although I have a phone dock in the armrest no handset is fitted or has been since I got the car over 3 years ago so I am guessing its the AGW unit. Its just the sound not power loss.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the Audio Gateway of where its located as I have checked the area above the battery and there is a keyless-go unit behind a panel but I can't see any other units.?

Does anyone have a part number and also he fuse number for the phone as I may as well remove it if its not in use just incase it is the cause.

Its just the standard audio fitted, not base or harmon pardon system fitted.

Last edited:
As you have a 2001 W220, it is a D2B (audio technology) car and does not have an AGW. AGW is part of the MOST set up from Model Year 2004.

Is it just when on the radio ? Or also on other head-unit sources such as CD (or tape in your car)

Richard

Its definitely on the radio, I do not use the tape player and it only sometimes sees the CD changer in the boot. Most of the time it just says no magazine in cd changer but on occasions it does pick it up but again I have not tried it on the CD. hopefully it will pick up and I can give an update.

Ok, it sounds like something on the fibre optic network is failing (its a loop) and you have Bose sound system (so the amp is on the loop). I would (in your case) suspect the CD changer, but you need to get a D2B joiner and bypass the CD changer (you take the connector apart, put the fibres in the joiner, and it is looped out)

Ask MB parts dept for a D2B joiner - I can't remember the part number i'm afraid

Richard

It is the sound from all the functions including the Nav that cuts out at random intervals. I went on a 3 hour journey and it worked fine for about an hour and then started cutting out the sound. Switched it off for an hour and then it was fine again for a while before repeating the symptoms.

The CD changer is still saying no magazine, It has given me problems from the start when I bought the car. If I eject the magazine 5-6 times and reinsert it it sometimes gets picked up by the comand unit and works fine.

I will enquire about the D2B joiner, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom