W220 COMAND Not Working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

83C

Car
Mercedes W220 S430
Hi folks, I've just bought an early W220 but the Stereo/Nav/CD/Phone isn't working. It is the early version of COMAND, so far as I can tell the fuses are OK however the fuse diagrams are missing.

Head unit/phone/nav - not working at all.
CD changer - eject button tries to eject CD cassette but appears broken. However this suggests there is at least power going to the unit.

Any help would be much appreciated, I'd very much like to have the system working!

Well the command units do go wrong,the problem for most owners is that to fault find is difficult,of course you can pull out all the fuses connected to the unit and reset it and then after a while put them back and see if it restores it,I know there are some fuses at the end of the dash on the drivers side and I think some in the boot as well,there will be somebody on here who will know what ones to pull,without doubt I suspect the best way to fix this is to take it to a repairers they will have the equipment to test the various parts of the head unit.

I'd rather try and fix it myself if possible, is there anything in particular that goes wrong with COMAND? Next step will be to take the centre dash unit apart and get the multimeter on the power connections for the unit, are there any wiring diagrams available?

The W220 had a Comand which was later replaced with the "DX" vesion (still 2.5) which featured an improved nav interface (letters in addresses which was not valid was greyed out) and the display of the MB logo during startup. I upgraded mine in my CL. There is a configuration which should be set by Star Diagnose but mine worked regardless of this. I beleive that the W220 rusts away as much in GB as in Sweden, so finding a used unit at a car parts recycling business should not be much of a problem.

The (Comand) fuse (box) for my CL was below and under the rear right passenger seat. (I do not recall the fuse number) but I did experience that the Comand unit was in need of a reset on a few occasions.

So this evening I dug out the multimeter and extracted the COMAND unit:

There is power to both the switched live and permanent live on the unit but nothing coming out of anywhere else. Therefore I'd guess an internal issue with the head unit itself?

Bit of a long shot but does anyone near Exeter have a COMAND unit I could plug in just to check?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom