W220 Comand Sat Nav

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

design guru

Car
2001 W220 Mercedes S320cdi & 2001 W208 CLK230K (SORN since 2008)
S320cdi W220 2001

I have an issue with my sat nav where the map does not show the correct location. No matter where I am going the map shows an area near Thames Valley and the destination route always thinks I am there and guide me from that point, but as I am driving the arrow moves with my car. like the arrow and the map are not in sync.

Is there a way to reset as it did have an issue where it was not seeing the CD but after a good head cleaner CD it seems to read the disc.

Have you tried ejecting and reinserting the disc?

Have you tried ejecting and reinserting the disc?

I have tried that, at first I thought it was the head not reading the CD. It does not show as seeing any satellites either. Usually there is a info strip that shows technical info but nothing shows up. It seems to acknowledge the traffic report. and the directions given seem to correspond to my driving, its just the directions given are as though I am in the location of the thames valley.

You should first fix the issue with no satellites. Probably that is all that is needed. Likely a bad GPS antenna, test it with a suitable antenna first.

You should first fix the issue with no satellites. Probably that is all that is needed. Likely a bad GPS antenna, test it with a suitable antenna first.

Totally agree. First place to check.

Totally agree. First place to check.

Thank you for the replies and a good starting point, in terms of testing where is the wire connected, is it a case of removing the comand unit or will it be located in the boot area?

The antenna on the roof is connected on the right hand side of the boot behind the carpet panel.

It has 2 connectors, one is for GPS, the other is for phone I think.

Looks like this.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140403_082401.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140403_082401.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 22
Someone familiar with this car should help you. On a US model there would be an antenna splitter at the trunk which could be easier to access and easier to use for temporary antenna testing. However the wiring diagram looked like the splitter was only on US models. Usually the splitter is replaced with a pass-through connector which might not be the case here.

Attachments

• W220 antenna splitter.JPG
    W220 antenna splitter.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 23
I have the carpets out of my car right now if you need any pictures.
Mine certainly doesn't have that splitter box. 2 seperate cables from the aerial join into 2 cables.

Mine certainly doesn't have that splitter box. 2 seperate cables from the aerial join into 2 cables.

I had a look at Lunch and mine has 2 wires, no splitter box. Do both of these run from the aerial at the top of the back window or is the GPS antenna separate?

What would be the best way to test the antenna?

The splitter is for the US Tele-Aid, provides the GPS signal from the antenna to two different units. I was not expecting a splitter in a Euro car but do I understand right that the cables are continuous, not even a straight connector at the trunk?

What would be the best way to test the antenna?

The best way to test the antenna is to detach it and connect a temporary antenna for test purposes.

The question is the connector that can be accessed most easily. Sounds like there is no other connector than the one at the navigation processor (I guess in this case at the "radio" which has the GPS receiver).

The splitter is for the US Tele-Aid, provides the GPS signal from the antenna to two different units. I was not expecting a splitter in a Euro car but do I understand right that the cables are continuous, not even a straight connector at the trunk?

Nope, there is a connector block on the 2 facelift cars I have apart now. I'm sure the last (Pre facelift) car I changed gps aerials on was also the same with a joiner block.

Based on the feedback the antenna cable is connected to the back of the command and runs to the boot where it connects to the aerial on the top of the back window?

Sorry to ask but would it not be easier just to connect a new antenna to the boot section and leave it under the rear parcel shelf or in the first aid box.

I have seen numerous antennas for sale online which are suitable for the command system 2.5, could I use one of those or do I need a specific mercedes branded part?

If the navi processor was at the trunk, the rear parcel shelf would be a decent position for a replacement antenna. In case the head unit has an integrated navigation unit, I would hide the replacement antenna to the instrument cluster area. On top of the instrument cluster it receives satellites quite well even if not exactly as well as the antenna at the roof.

Problem Solved

Well I removed the comand unit and reseated all the plugs and all of a sudden the navigation picked up a signal and now its working all fine. Really happy especially since I never bought any parts.

I had the comand running as I pulled the antenna wire and as I placed it back in and it immediately started picking up a signal.

Must have just been a loose connection.

Thank you all for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom