W220 dropped on one side only

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LTD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Polo GTi (and a travel pass for the train and subway)
:dk:

My W220 has dropped both front and rear on the driver's side. The car is looking lop-sided and I'm not going to risk driving it.

I suspect a component common to both front and rear but I will bow to the greater knowledge of the cognoscenti of the forum.

Does anybody have any ideas without me forking out a shedload so paid mechanics 'can have a look see' at my expense ?

Open the bonnet and have a look at the top of the suspension strut for cracking. Normally crack and loose air thus the suspension drops.
Also listen at the drivers front to check that the air pump is working.

Thanks Justin but those seem to be the standard google-type resolves to any airmatic issue.

I'm curious to find out if the relay could be shot and this is a symptom or if the valve block may be defective.

Curveball is some sort of sensor that has packed in.

The valve is built into the struts, most common Airmatic faults are relays failing and the compressors over working and packing up. Then fronts struts cracking at the top and leaking.
If the compressor has failed then always change the relay, compressor and the valve block :thumb:

If you start the engine up and you can hear the compressor working then look and listen at the top of the strut, you normally hear it hissing from a crack

How long was it standing? I would start the car, take the suspension up, put it back down and then see how long it takes for it to go lop sided again before doing anything else. Obviously on level ground.

Hi Jay

It simply won't rise on the driver's side.

avoiding-bankruptcy.jpg

:devil:

Thanks Jay

Thanks a ****ing lot Derek :)

Thankfully I have use of another car this week so I can get a chance to phone my local Indy and get it onto STAR and the benefits of his wisdom.

If it's a pump / control block that needs replaced then so be it. At least it will have a new one fitted then !

It could just be a split hose on the block..

:thumb:I'm of the though pattern that it has to be something common to the driver's side of the car as both ends are down on that side.

How accessible is the block etc. ?

Thankfully I have use of another car this week so I can get a chance to phone my local Indy and get it onto STAR and the benefits of his wisdom.

If it's a pump / control block that needs replaced then so be it. At least it will have a new one fitted then !

If its the pump, you may have to change the bracket that holds it on as it will probably be rusty, its only around £25 more but worth it.

Update time.

Car has been at my preferred local Indy and should be ready for collection tomorrow.

STAR showed a fault with a level sensor on the driver's side. The sensor was removed, all contacts cleaned and both sides sprayed with (I presume WD40 or similar) water repellent. Popped back on and the old lady raised her hips gracefully :)

Whilst the work was being done it was noticed that a suspension link was quite worn so that's replaced too whilst they have the car.

All well and good and change from £150

Who do you use for work on your car out of interest? My other half is also from G72.

My preferred Indy is in Ibrox. Mercedes Independent in Broomloan Road to be exact.

God only knows how a main dealer would have handled this on a 7yo car. Diagnostics ? Sensor replacement ? Would they have 'replaced the pump as it needed it' ?

Would I have seen a £1k bill from a main dealer ? I think so ...........

If your other half wants to chat - no problem. Just let me know.

My preferred Indy is in Ibrox. Mercedes Independent in Broomloan Road to be exact.

God only knows how a main dealer would have handled this on a 7yo car. Diagnostics ? Sensor replacement ? Would they have 'replaced the pump as it needed it' ?

Whats their labour rate if you know off the top of your head?

Update time.

Car has been at my preferred local Indy and should be ready for collection tomorrow.

STAR showed a fault with a level sensor on the driver's side. The sensor was removed, all contacts cleaned and both sides sprayed with (I presume WD40 or similar) water repellent. Popped back on and the old lady raised her hips gracefully :)

Whilst the work was being done it was noticed that a suspension link was quite worn so that's replaced too whilst they have the car.

All well and good and change from £150

Great news Steven and Thank God for Indies.

I imagine it would have been something along the lines of 'what cowboy put that together? Looks expensive to me gov lot of time in that, those ABC parts (sharp intake of breath), reckon you're looking at a couple of tons there mate'

Translate into Glaswegian as appropriate.

Good result Steven - leaves you with more cash for the next Colnago / Pinarello etc. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom