W220 - easy to steal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jukie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
MY11 E350 CDi Avantgarde
A quick question about an 05 S320 Cdi (W220).

Assuming the car is locked and secure using the key and the car only has the factory-fitted alam/immobiliser, how easy or otherwise is it to steal said car without the key? E.g. break into the car, wreck the ignition cowling and hotwire it.

And by steal, I mean drive away from where it is parked as opposed to removing it with a tow-truck or similar.

TIA, David.

Impossible to "Hot Wire"...

But there are reports of imported gizmos out there now that will copy keys or fool the ignition into thinking you have inserted a key.

To the amateur joyrider virtually impossible, for the steal to order thiefs out there very easy with the technology available to beat the cars systems.

Easiest way is to put the car on the back of a low loader, drive off and ignore the alarm going off as everyone else does :D

David, given your current employment, why would you want to steal a W220? :rolleyes:

Police have labelled the S Class to be bullet proof without a key, didnt stop them from taking mine, although there is still the question of whether another key was used to get in or not...

Four years ago a friend had his SL55 driven of his business' car park 5 minutes after he parked it.

He had both keys and MB confirmed that a spare key was never ordered (the insurer insisted on this).

So yes any car can be stollen.

Aubergin3 said:
Police have labelled the S Class to be bullet proof without a key, didnt stop them from taking mine, although there is still the question of whether another key was used to get in or not...

They only need your shassis number for a duplicate key

Cant realy post it up on an open forum (how its done) but think yourself lucky you dont have a new keyless BMW, a five yr old can get in one in seconds and no im not joking..

Last edited:
Either way, if a spare key is ordered from MB by thieves then there will be a record of it - the trick is to find a way to program a duplicate key without having to ask the dealer - and it seems that this is what happened in the case of my friend's SL55.

Cant realy post it up on an open forum (how its done) but think yourself lucky you dont have a new keyless BMW, a five yr old can get in one in seconds and no im not joking..

Yep true I can be in any of the bmw keyless go cars and away in less than 30 seconds we have modified loads of customers cars so they are no longer exposed to this flaw.

David, given your current employment, why would you want to steal a W220? :rolleyes:

Because with the cutbacks I cannot afford one!!!

Seriously, I was endeavouring to prove a point or put forward an realistic explanation for the disappearance of one such motor as part of an investigation.

Every car is Stealable, but the 220 is one of the most difficult. Double glazed windows, super strong door frames. MB DAS system.

You could up the theft protection by hiring some of these to stay with your car at all times :
DSCF3279.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom