w220 facelift: audio aux in exists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ItalianTuneUp

MB Enthusiast
Car
S320CDI
Is there a way to get music from an android phone to play on the car's audio system, either through aux in, if it exists, or some other way, Bluetooth for example? Model year is 2005.

Easiest and one of the cheapest ways is wireless FM modulator.

Next best is a wired FM modulator, which will give you some reasonable quality and some extra reliability over the wireless version.

You can also take the comand unit out and route a cassette - 3.5mm adapter so that the cable come out in the glovebox or ashtray. there was a how to on the US forum of how to do that.

Then you jump up to gadgets like the Dension etc...

Thanks for the info.

So there's a 3.5mm-in socket on the back of the comand block is there? Putting it on the front would have been more accessible I think.

Pre-facelifts have 3.5mm socket in glove compartment I think I read somewhere.

No, there is no 3.5mm input.

They take an old cassette adapter and route the cable away. It can't be used normally with the cable coming out the front due to the motorised screen.

I'll have to look into it a bit more then. Cassette stuff sounds a bit retro but maybe a cheap and cheerful solution? I think I saw Dension gizmos on command online but iirc, they weren't cheap.

Thanks for this. What is the sound quality like? £6 is amazing though! It would hog my ciggie lighter socket though, which I use for charging the phone, especially when using Sat nav software...but I can be flexible.

I had a 4-way ciggie lighter station for heavy chain smokers but I gave it away to someone...time to get a new 2-way...thanks for the ideas.

Once thing I dislike about stacking these ciggie lighter gizmos is that it can create a 'leaning tower of Pisa' effect...unsightly and can sometimes block access to stuff.

You can get small 'torpedo' plugs which have two USB sockets to power your devices - very unobtrusive.

here....

Last edited:
Thanks Ted, I'll take a look. Just been looking at some gizmos on Amazon. Seen one that extends the single lighter port and has 2 additional USB ports on top of it. Might be what I need.

I'm wondering now whether my genuine Samsung galaxy 2 USB charger is even required if I use one of these things...can't I just use a usb cable from this gizmo direct into the phone? Assuming the power rating is the same, I suppose not.

Maybe this answers my needs to allow usb charging for phone, plus ability to use the fm transmitter gizmo that Jane mentioned:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F9OKDPE/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

Last edited:
Thanks for this. What is the sound quality like? £6 is amazing though! It would hog my ciggie lighter socket though, which I use for charging the phone, especially when using Sat nav software...but I can be flexible.

How about using the cigarette lighters in the rear doors?

That's definitely a possibility I hadn't thought of, although it would lead to trailing wires and inaccessibility, especially when driving alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom