W220 gearbox - sealed for life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark_le_b

Car
2006 W211 E63 AMG
Hi
Do you guys agree with my dealer that the gearbox on my '99 W220 S430 is "sealed for life" ie will never need a fluid change? Car has done 110k miles and isn't as smooth on downchanges when slowing down as I would have expected........so was thinking of getting them to do a fluid change, which they say isn't necessary. Also, work won't be warrantied if they do it, as its not recommended.
Anybody got experience of this - and any ideas on downchange issue?
Thanks. Mark.:confused:

As Freddie, the dealer is well behind the times, 60k now including a new filter.

Why not get an indie to do it for you and save some money at the same time:)

As Freddie, the dealer is well behind the times, 60k now including a new filter.

Why not get an indie to do it for you and save some money at the same time:)

Is that 60k miles or kilometers?

Sorry Malcom..........

Now I'm confused!

40 thousand miles or 60 thousand miles

or

40 thousand km or 60 thousand km

Sorry Malcom..........

Now I'm confused!

40 thousand miles or 60 thousand miles

or

40 thousand km or 60 thousand km

I should think that you are confused, thats back wards, the first released info said 60k km, and of coarse thats 40k miles but postings on the forums seems to show the 60k miles is OK and acceptable all round.

(I put it down to my hunger, as I have not eaten anything today)

Cheers Malcom!

Off you go and get something to eat!

Iv'e been bloody Christmas Shopping, and I though my brain had stopped!

My dealer told me 60,000 miles last year. This year they told me 37,500 miles.

In my experience the former is probably closer to the truth, but I've not known any other auto box need such frequent maintenance?

What "Sealed for Life" really means is "We think it will last three years without needing a fluid change". This is so the 'total cost of ownership' looks lower over the period usually considered by the bean counters that buy for leasing and company cars.
As for private buyers, MB couldn't give a wotsit after the warranty expires.

There's another thread on this somewhere that quotes MB as admitting that they don't actually know, or haven't defined, what "sealed for life" means, i.e. whose life, what should be the normal life be etc.

w220 - sealed for life

Thanks for all comments....as I didn't think my dealer was right - and everybody on the forum didn't seem to think "sealed for life" was correct, I thought I'd try DaimlerChrysler for input.

Their answer was 37,500 miles!

So I've sent on to my dealer for his comments (as so he can shove it where the sun doesn't shine).......because they had said if they did change "sealed for life" gear oil, they wouldn't warranty any of the work!

I hope now they will eat their words.

Thanks
Mark:crazy:

Good for you mate !!

Be interested to hear their comments !!

I think this first came to light when it was noticed that the fluid was changed during the moblio service thing at 40K miles but not when the car was not under this contract, the turn about is odd as the fluid is no longer changed under the Moblio at this mileage but we are now on normal cars.

For most cars the dip stick was deleted along with the torque converter drain plug late 1998, thats when the sealed for life started.

Tried a different dealer today, who told me that the ML270 CDi is STILL sealed for life, and such would not be changed under Service Plus. Not what Service Plus said when they checked with a technical advisor.

Tried a different dealer today, who told me that the ML270 CDi is STILL sealed for life, and such would not be changed under Service Plus. Not what Service Plus said when they checked with a technical advisor.

It is very mixed up out there with all kinds of stories, the changing of the fluid and the USA forums have all accepted the 60k miles

I changed mine at 49K miles. And the filter and sump gasket. The difference in gear changing was easily noticed. Much smoother. Don't hesitate on this simple job.

My dealer told me 60,000 miles last year. This year they told me 37,500 miles.

In my experience the former is probably closer to the truth, but I've not known any other auto box need such frequent maintenance?

It is very mixed up out there with all kinds of stories, the changing of the fluid and the USA forums have all accepted the 60k miles

Part of the confusion may come from 60,000 km being broadly equivalent to 37,500 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom