W220 Instrument Cluster Flickering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jaymanek

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
Lots of Mercedes!
Back light flickers on the MPH display..

BBA want 195 to repair.. see

http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/DetailedProduct.aspx?DetailedProduct=

I began to take the cluster apart but it looks very complex inside, two boards on top of one another... i havent removed the top circuit board but cannot see any obvious bulbs..

anyone any experience? Malcolm?

The reason i ask is that they want £290 to repair E/CLK etc clusters which we know that all it takes is a rubber band to fix the pixels!

I know that the lamp driver circuit is at fault but I do not know more than that. I have never seen one but heard of plenty .

So sorry Jay no answer for the minute

Jay, the W220 had a recall for instrument cluster faults last year. I had mine replaced FOC early last year. Have you talked to a local MB dealer as they may be able to help you.

Jay, the W220 had a recall for instrument cluster faults last year. I had mine replaced FOC early last year. Have you talked to a local MB dealer as they may be able to help you.

Joke is that they give a 10 year re call on these in the USA

well i just took it all apart, its a very interesting cluster, the light is a flourescent...
i seperated all the boards and components but couldnt see anything wrong... anyway, put it all back together and now its working perfectly!!

Only downside is the speedo is not working! I dont think ive put the needle on right as i can hear something clicking, so ive either put it in the wrong place or not pushed it on properly...

Jay this could be just soldering as its OK now.

The driver I mentioned is the converter that changes the 12v dc to 200 volts AC that flashes across the lamp I would have said that it is dry soldered on the converter

When removing needles always mark the spindle and needle and when you take the needle off make sure that the spindle does no go one turn out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom