W220 MOST and D2B Comand units

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alanm_3

Car
S320 CDi
Hi folks, first posting on here, and I'm right in at the deep end!!

I am about to collect a 2002 (non-facelift) S320 CDi next weekend, which for some reason has no Comand unit fitted. I am very keen to install it, and would obviously like the widescreen version rather than the smaller screen.

Having spoken to the dealership, they have told me that based on the chassis number my car is a pre-MOST bus car and as such is D2B, so the assumption is a Comand 2.5 unit would be a relatively straight-forward exercise to retro-fit.
Given the lack of MOST bus in my car (I have some experience of MOST from my Porsche days and know how much of a pain it can be!), I am assuming I would need to source a D2B widescreen unit, if there is such a thing, or replace the loom (which I have no intentions of doing!)

So here are my questions :-
1. Is there a D2B version of the widescreen Comand unit?
2. If so what other "bits" do I need to source in terms of cableing etc?
3. Is the DVD Comand unit MOST bus only?

Thanks in advance!!

Alan

1. Is there a D2B version of the widescreen Comand unit?
1. Yes, there are D2B comand versions for your S-class. You can get a comand 2.5 which should fit in your dash without a single problem. Or you can get a 16/9 comand unit (for 2003 models), in which case you have to get yourself a new wood panel as well.

2. If so what other "bits" do I need to source in terms of cableing etc?
2. GPS antenna, C-connector, screws for comand fixation... maybe get your car reprogrammed through Stardiagnose to get the navigation instructions to show on your instrument cluster's display.

If you go with the 16/9 comand, it may be possible that you can't control the comand through your steering wheel buttons, though.

3. Is the DVD Comand unit MOST bus only?
3. The DVD comand is MOST only. Oh, and for the W220 S-classes: DVD comands do NOT have an integrated navigation drive, but a separate unit that gets installed in the boot.

greetingz,

BigSis

Hallo, i know this is an old thread, but i have just got a 2001 s400, and it has a audio 30 system installed and a sound system as well.

I would like to upgrade to a comand, but i have heard that it is a quite big operation and that i will need to rip the car apart to install a new harness, is this really true, it is not possible just to get a new comand wood trim and use the cables used for the audio 30????

Tommy Axen

Tommyaa said:
Hallo, i know this is an old thread, but i have just got a 2001 s400, and it has a audio 30 system installed and a sound system as well.

I would like to upgrade to a comand, but i have heard that it is a quite big operation and that i will need to rip the car apart to install a new harness, is this really true, it is not possible just to get a new comand wood trim and use the cables used for the audio 30????

Tommy Axen

I am doing two of those installs later in the week. For it to be done properly you order the respective wiring and install it. Then at least everything works properly.

One like minded member is still working on the problem about one year after he started. Similarly, we expect to have it done in several hours. That is the difference between doing it the easy way and doing it the hard way.

Hallo Again, if i am going to get a nre wire harness like you say is the best, where does this harness go??, i mean of course one end of it is behind the radio/comand, but where is the other end, what do i need to dissassemble, and is the any way to make an exact guide, maybe with pictures on how to install a new harness???

If i am going to install a new harness, would it be as as easy to install the comand 2003 widescreen???? or is that the one without navi???

By the way, where exactly is the sound system located, and how do i access it, i want to install a cd changer, when i open the trunk, and look to the left there is nothing but are, i that place that th cd changer should be, but that is not the same place as the sound system is it??? is the sound system not behind the rear seats somewhere???

Please guide me throug it and help me out, help is really appreiated!!

Tommy Axen

Last edited:
Tommyaa said:
Hallo Again, if i am going to get a nre wire harness like you say is the best, where does this harness go??, i mean of course one end of it is behind the radio/comand, but where is the other end, what do i need to dissassemble, and is the any way to make an exact guide, maybe with pictures on how to install a new harness???

If i am going to install a new harness, would it be as as easy to install the comand 2003 widescreen???? or is that the one without navi???

By the way, where exactly is the sound system located, and how do i access it, i want to install a cd changer, when i open the trunk, and look to the left there is nothing but are, i that place that th cd changer should be, but that is not the same place as the sound system is it??? is the sound system not behind the rear seats somewhere???

Please guide me throug it and help me out, help is really appreiated!!

Tommy Axen

I personally dont have enough skin on my fingers to type out the full instructions on how to work on a Mercedes. It takes Mercedes about 8GB to explain it to qualified mechanics so then what hope do I have doing it over the net to someone who is a first time modder.

It only takes about 6 hours to do the whole job in person through a professional service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom