W220 or C215 wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Setanta

Now carless (!!!) and in need of a cure. As is normal for me, I desire a hugely impractical, costly to run and maintain, gas guzzling uberbarge.

I am flexible between a coupe and sedan (as will just get a runaround sedan if I buy the coupe) so looking for any of the following:

CL600TT or CL55K

or

S600TT or S55K (LWB preferred)

Full service history is a must and I am prepared to pay a realistic price for the car. So please, no "Not really interesting in selling but would accept £25,000" sort of emails.

I realise that by advertising that I want one it may be the case that a 'premium' is asked but I think I have a fairly good feel for what is a fair price.

I am only interested in buying privately as, for something as complex as these, it is better to be able to work through the history, what has been done and maintained etc.

Thanks in advance.

There's a CL 55 for sale on the classifieds on this very forum!

Unfortunately it is n/a rather than supercharged

Have you tried Top Marques ? there is a low mileage 220 Kompressor 2003 £ 15495 + over 50 CL'S between £15,000 - £40,000 www.topmarquescars.co.uk

Last edited:
2004 MERCEDES-BENZ S CLASS S600L 4dr Auto Saloon

Low on options for the price (my 2001 had virtually everything) and I have inquired about that car but won't be going further.

2005 MERCEDES-BENZ S CLASS S500L 4dr Auto Saloon

I will look into this one - I am not too fond of the price premium for the miles since could not care less about the miles but looks good - Thanks

UK GTIs : Mercedes-Benz S Class S600 LWB - Bi-Turbo - 493BHP

Been for sale for a while if I recall - my preference is buying privately though for this age

John Holland Sales : Mercedes S600L Bi-Turbo + 1 OWNER + COMAND + BIG SPEC

Too close to main dealer price without the benefits of main dealer - there is a rather nice on that we are 'negotiating' on but they seem to be losing £1800-£2000 per month. Main dealers don't drop advertised prices month on month unless they really have to.

Mercedes : Mercedes CL600 V12 500 BHP Bi-Turbo 0-60 4.6s

I have spoken to that seller. I can't recall off the top of my head why I did not go further. I have it written down somewhere at home.

Thanks for the links and while there are certainly cars out there, too many are the "it has over 500hp!!! it is a V12!!! it cost a million dollars!!!" offerings that will snare a lot of people on that alone rather than having actually ran one of the wallet-draining monsters.

Additionally, I only will buy privately on a W220/C215 unless one happened to come across an MB main dealer forecourt but that is happening far less frequently as the years pass by.

The W221's are falling fast so don't want to jump onto that slide too soon.

Picky? Yes...but only a loon like me buys a gas guzzling tank as a London car!

Last edited:
Scratch the C215 idea for the moment - did a trial run and simply not feasible with one baby seat and one toddler seat.

So back to the drawing board and an interim W140 while I look for a decent W220

Now carless (!!!) and in need of a cure. As is normal for me, I desire a hugely impractical, costly to run and maintain, gas guzzling uberbarge.

I am flexible between a coupe and sedan (as will just get a runaround sedan if I buy the coupe) so looking for any of the following:

CL600TT or CL55K

or

S600TT or S55K (LWB preferred)

Full service history is a must and I am prepared to pay a realistic price for the car. So please, no "Not really interesting in selling but would accept £25,000" sort of emails.

I realise that by advertising that I want one it may be the case that a 'premium' is asked but I think I have a fairly good feel for what is a fair price.

I am only interested in buying privately as, for something as complex as these, it is better to be able to work through the history, what has been done and maintained etc.

Thanks in advance.
Hi,I purchased a Cl600 from a main MB Dealer,you can at times get a rather good deal on this type of vehicle as not everyone wants a car that drinks fuel,only people with taste....I live in Ayrshire and the car was brought up from down south :)

2003 MERCEDES-BENZ S CLASS S55 4dr Auto Amg Saloon

I called but not heard back from him.

I know the next one is a dealer but you don't see many of these

Lucky Star Motors Ltd : MERCEDES-BENZ S65 AMG AUTO BI-TURBO ULTIMATE 1 OWNER FROM NEW

True but also been for sale for ages.

2003 MERCEDES S55 AMG | eBay

That guy buys and sells S-Classes, normally W140's so, as far as I am concerned, he is a trader.

2002 MERCEDES S55 AMG AUTO SILVER | eBay

Too many gremlins popping up there

Dealer again - but very clean

2000/X MERCEDES-BENZ S500L AUTO SALOON 49973 MILES ONLY | eBay

Dealer - hence nope for me.

I've been down the road with W140's and W220's and what goes wrong with them and also the ££££££ in running them so tend to try and steer clear of 'problem cars'.

Something will turn up I am sure...like a 1998 S73 in black over black :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I had looked at these before:

Jags - buggy won't fit

Audi/Phaeton - too many issues with them, especially electrical, which are nightmares to try and remedy

Maser - nice but not me

Bentley - not a chance. The W140's are a far better car (ducks the flaming!)

2002 7 series is too early in the series - they did a major update in 2004 that got rid of a lot of the various gremlins and problems that plagued the earlier cars.

love that 760Li...

At one time I was running a S600L, a CL500 and an SL500 all at the same time and I live near the centre of London! My petrol station loves me.

I will consider a very late series W140, ideally in LWB form and prepared to pay a decent price for the right car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom