W220 Propshaft balancing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V8 Supercharger

Car
W221 S600 V12 Bi-Turbo
Hello all

Been having a rather annoying vibration in my car for the last year or so that usually only tends to happen between 60-80mph. Anything below or above was fine. Naturally i thought the wheels would need balancing, so after doing them and not resolving the problem iv replaced the tyres, wheels, bushes, joints, wishbones, tranny mount, engine mounts, you name it.

The end result . . . . . its still vibrating between 60-80, but has recently started doing it at lower speeds aswell, like 20-40mph. Seems more noticeable uphill.

As you can imagine, this is pretty annoying :wallbash:

The last thing to get replaced on the car was the big bush that goes between the propshaft and the rear diff. Made no difference :mad:

The last thing i can think of, that has been suggested by my indy aswell, is that the propshaft might need balancing.

What im trying to understand is - how does the propshaft go out of balance? And is there anyway of testing it whilst still on the car?

Is there anyone who can balance propshafts in the Leeds/Bradford area?

Thanks.

Is there anyone who can balance propshafts in the Leeds/Bradford area?

There's a woman in Huddersfield who used to be a juggler with the Moscow State Circus. Worth a try?

Although you have already done the wheels and tyres, I had a similar problem on my 210 which turned out to be wheel and tyre related.
The whole car vibrated at 60-80mph like yours does and I was convinced it was the propshaft, but the combination of a dented inner rim on an alloy and a duff tyre were the cause. Maybe double-check those?

Although you have already done the wheels and tyres, I had a similar problem on my 210 which turned out to be wheel and tyre related.
The whole car vibrated at 60-80mph like yours does and I was convinced it was the propshaft, but the combination of a dented inner rim on an alloy and a duff tyre were the cause. Maybe double-check those?

Iv had 3 different sets of wheels and tyres on it now and none have cured the problem.

I know its definitely something "rotational" thats causing the problem, and its mostly felt through the seats, more so on the passenger side.

Iv had 3 different sets of wheels and tyres on it now and none have cured the problem.

I know its definitely something "rotational" thats causing the problem, and its mostly felt through the seats, more so on the passenger side.

It's a strange thing... It was my front N/S wheel that was buckled but the vibration felt as though it was coming from the middle to rear of the car. The whole car shook though. I also had a front N/S wheel bearing done at the same time which coupled with a duff tyre produced a droning noise akin a Lancaster Bomber fleet approaching overhead. :crazy:

Propshafts are originally balanced by having small, flat plates attached at the points on the prop that need balancing....... Have a close look at the propshaft and look for any evidence of plates that have become detached, there will be a 'shadow' mark remaining on the prop where the plate would have been.

I think it unlikely for a prop to go out of balance unless the balancing plates are disturbed or the uj's worn.

I assume you have checked the uj's.

http://www.cembhofmann.co.uk/?***id=CNSk1ZTkm7wCFYlF3god4GIAXg

Last edited:
I doubt the prop shaft has gone out of balance, more likely the centre bearing mounting is breaking up.

It's a strange thing... It was my front N/S wheel that was buckled but the vibration felt as though it was coming from the middle to rear of the car. The whole car shook though. I also had a front N/S wheel bearing done at the same time which coupled with a duff tyre produced a droning noise akin a Lancaster Bomber fleet approaching overhead. :crazy:

I too had a droning sound last year, but that turned out to be a bad pulsation dampener, sounded a lot like a wheel bearing.

The vibrations, which are more like a "wobble2 at low speeds, are altogether different. 3 sets of wheels and tyres cannot all be bad, and theres not much else left to replace :eek:

I think it unlikely for a prop to go out of balance unless the balancing plates are disturbed or the uj's worn.

I assume you have checked the uj's.

I doubt the prop shaft has gone out of balance, more likely the centre bearing mounting is breaking up.

I havnt checked the propshaft in that much detail to see if anything has come off it, but all my guess is pointing towards the propshaft.

I personally havnt checked any of the propshaft, or associated bits myself, but my local Merc indy has checked it and the only thing he could find was the rear big bush that connects the propshaft to the rear diff. It looked "alright" but he thought it be the first place to start in his opinion.

Changed it for a brand new one from dealers . . . made no difference. :(

I too would say centre bearing is a wise place to start.
Mine looked perfect on my W210 but would cause vibration between 50 and 70mph. Changed it despite it looking good and the vibration was gone.

ok, on this particular car (2004 W220 S-class) would you need to go anywhere near the centre bearing or propshaft parts in order to replace the transmission mount?

I cant be 100% sure, but im almost thinking this may have started about the same time i had the mounts done. I even read in another thread about the transmission mount itself having to be properly aligned before being tightened up, any truth in this?

I'm trying to resolve similar issues on my w210 which has been narrowed down to auto torque converter/valve body. Not yet resolved but getting close.

Its like going over a cattle grid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom