w220 remove fascia trim on audio 10 cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beachcomber

Hi
I wonder if anyone can tell me how you got the audio 10 cassette unit out of a W220? The walnut fascia goes round the audio 10, the hinged flap and the heater controls. I have taken the bottom screws out but can't release the fascia further.
Many thanks
user_online.gif

Ideally use proper keys inserted into the two slots in the bottom buttons, but you can get away with thin screwdrivers, especially if you pull the buttons off to save damaging the slots.

If using screwdrivers, insert then push inwards to depress the latches.

[YOUTUBE]7nrK5KO8EFo[/YOUTUBE]

audio 10 cassette unit

Thanks, Dieselman, for your help but I think what you are describing is how to get an audio 10 CD unit out. The audio 10 cassette unit has no slots. I have the keys but nowhere to use them! You have to take out the whole of the walnut effect fascia surround to get at whatever is holding in the unit. That's where I'm stuck. I've also posted a new thread on this one so maybe someone will advise. Thanks again.

Every Audio 10 unit I have seen has the slots, including cassette units.

Developments! The dealer says take off the fascia strip that runs along the dashboard. This will give access to the fixings for the audio 10 cassette. I'm now stuck because the strip levers up easily until I get to the area above the glove box, where it won't lift up. Anyone know how it's held there? The dealer did say something slides to the left but he was working from dim memory - he hasn't seen many radio cassettes this century. Nothing slides. I have to be careful not to break anything in this area. Anyone done this job?

I'm guessing here, but suspect that you might need to remove the glove-box then slide a retaining plate to the left and that will release the trim.

Well the final story is that npuk's reply was spot on but I just didn't understand his message. There are indeed two more screws. They are up high behind the flap which comes down over the middle section, ie, between the Audio 10 and the ashtray. I was trying to release the walnut fascia trim as shown in numerous youtube videos for similar setups. But every model seems to be completely different. Thanks everyone for your help. It would save a lot of trouble if Mercedes issued a 'haynes' type manual - or let haynes do one. Now I just have to get the radio working. Currently it's dead. There's a little green plastic insert at the back of the audio 10 with nothing in it. Should it hold a fuse?? If not where's the fuse and what's this green thing for?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom