W220 requires 0w-40 oil - Is it alright to top up with 5w-40?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W4SIM

Banned
Car
S55 AMG Kompressor
Hello all

As the title suggests really, my 2004 S55k has always had Mobil 1 0w-40 engine in it when ever its been serviced, but recently the light has come asking to add 1.0 litre of oil. Iv checked via the dipstick and sure enough its at the bottom of the stick.

Now iv got some "Total Quartz 9000 5w-40" at home and was wondering if its alright to top up with 1 litre of that until the next service in 3 months?

I dont drive the car too much, and most of the drive is ont he motorways at a steady pace anyway.

Thanks.

I'm not an expert and dont like answering a question with a question but arent you topping up with an oil type of higher viscosity (thicker)? Could you not buy the lower viscosity 0W-40 oil?

I'm not an expert and dont like answering a question with a question but arent you topping up with an oil type of higher viscosity (thicker)? Could you not buy the lower viscosity 0W-40 oil?

I could, but if i dont need to coz iv got something useable at home, then i suppose its abit pointless.

I know what you mean about them being different viscosity, but i dont know wether its enough of a difference here to really matter, and when 1 litre of it mixes in it could matter even less. Possibly???

If someone comes along and says its a definite NO NO, then il just go and buy some 0w-40.

As long as the oil you are planning to top up with is also Fully Synthetic, like the Mobil, It should be fine.

I read a thread a while ago on oil, and by doing what you are planning will change the viscosity of the oil, but a very small amount.

You will probably end up with something like 1.2w-40.

I wouldnt worry and top it up! :D

I wouldnt worry and top it up! :D

A man of my own heart! :devil:

Yeah i think for the amount it is and the very little mileage im likely to cover until the service i think il just do it.

:thumb:

Slightly off topic but does anyone know how much oil an S55k can burn and still be within tolerance???

To give you an idea, i had an E reg Cosworth Saphire back in the days. According to Ford themselves that could burn anywhere upto 1 litre per 1000 miles. Yes 1 litre in just ONE thousand miles. And that was supposed to be normal.

But your 55 is a kompressor or rather supercharged engine, I thought a turbo would burn more as it runs hotter than a supercharger?

Anyways, sorry for going off on a tangent, I'm sure one of the experts will be along in a moment. BlackC55 (Olly) has a wealth of knowledge so you could PM him and see the response.

Anyways, sorry for going off on a tangent,

Dont worry about it my friend, what you said wasnt "going off" on anything, it was actually pretty helpful. It just backed up my own doubts as to wether i should do it or not, but i guess there are people out there who know more than us and like all others on here we're here to question and learn.

Mine is indeed a Kompressor engine, but just like to know what to keep an eye on before something major goes bang.

get Mobil 1 .. it's not expensive.

Your engine deserves the oil it needs.

It's a supercharged V8, not a simple 4 cylinder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom