W220 - Retrofitting Comand 2.5 from original Audio 10.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paalw

Car
E220 CDI 2003
Hi there,

I have just bought my 2000 W220 S55 AMG, and it was originally fitted with the Audio 10 system and no Bose. Some of the previous owners removed the Audio 10 and hacked the wood trim and put an aftermarket player in, along with some very ugly stuff.

So - I tried to find out if I could easily fit a Comand 2.5 in there instead, and I guess from what I found I thought it would be pretty straight forward, at least to get the radio to work, which really is everyting I need. Working navi and CDs would be nice also I guess but from what I found, it will be a problem.

I started searchig for a bezel in the correct wood, and a working Comand unit, and now I just received both. The first thing I did was of course to plug in the Comand 2.5 with the two connectors from the car that did fit, the one with power etc and the one with speakers. Yes - I have read now that I should ABSOLUTELY not do that because it can hurt the car because the wiring is different. But that one I read about just after I did it myself. So I just hope nothing got damaged! What did happen was that I got sound from radio, was able to tune radio and volume up and down. And turn on and off manually also work. No lights, pretty much nothing else.

So how do I go about getting the rest of the wires correct. As far as I have understood the only thing that fits right in is the speaker connector. I have no Idea what the C1-C2 etc etc refers to, and if I need them. So if anyone would care to explain where on the Comand the different connectors are, and what the ones in my car are and what needs to go where...I would appreciate it a lot.

So here are some photos, and I hope someone can explain how I should proceed.

First of all, the terrible setup from when I bought the car.

behe9lBh.jpg

Then a photo of the rear of my new Comand. What is what, and what is needed for radio, lights and screen to work, auto on/off to work, and steering wheel controls to work?

S9GLS4Kh.jpg

Photo of connectors from the car. The two in the middle don't fit anywhere on the new Comand. And the right one is the one that needs to be altered?

Uhc5V7gh.jpg

There are also at least 4 wires that the previous owners have done some tricks with, that connected to the aftermarket unit or other places, so here is a photo of those. One yellow, one red, one red/black and one purple.

O5M5fzFh.jpg

Finally a test fit of how it is going to look. Luckily the mounting is very easy and ready as it is, I was fearing it would be a nightmare to convert from Audio 10 mounts, but all screw holes are ready so that was a plesant surprise at least :)

EbjAeQoh.jpg

Well, I hope anyone is able to assist me from here! :) Cheers.

By the way I did search the forum, and found some threads regarding Comand retrofitting, but not knowing what the different connectors are called, and always some minor things that was different from my setup(Audio 30 vs Audio 10) etc, I found it best to start a new thread.

You didn't consider an Android unit which would have more functionality and look like OEM facelift?

Thanks Larkone, that is just what I was looking for! :=) Now I have something to work with :)

You didn't consider an Android unit which would have more functionality and look like OEM facelift?

I considered it, but chose the Comand 2.5, mostly for the retro look which I like. Might do another thing later.

After reviewing the info on the pinoutguide page, I am still a bit confused about the pin locations on the Comand unit. The text and pin numbers doesn't seem to match what is written on the photo on the page.

Does anyone here know for sure what the different pins on connecor B is on the Comand? The one with power etc.

Please if someone knows what these pins actually are for:

QUPICQBh.jpg

If I remember correctly, the comand 2.5 has the option to fit TV, and I know mine had a CD changer in the boot. Not sure of the pins you show, but maybe something to do with both. Sorry can't help further.

The last time I checked, there are after market boxes with USB-connections that mimics a CD-changer. The MB original unit has problems reading copied CD's and also the location
in the boot is extremely sensitive for moisture. My advice is to refrain from trying to fit an original CD and instead go for a USB box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom