w220 S class 2003

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
How reliable is the abc suspension on a w220, dont know anything about it really?

:confused:

Theres a fair few horror stories out there about the ABC suspension system, more so on the V12 than the V8's.

In my 4 years of ownership iv never really had TOO much to complain about, the pressure accumulators have all been replaced by myself (4 of them) and every 2 years i get the system serviced with new fluid and filters. Nothings ever popped, collapsed or blown on the suspension as many will tell you. I think the important thing is to keep it serviced, which most people fail on and when the system fails on them, then its all tears.

The good news recently is that if it all goes very badly wrong and is likely to cost you thousands to repair, there is a replacement system available which gets rid of all the ABC suspension and replaces it with normal springs and shockers. That for me is a backup plan should the worst ever happen to mine.

I personally wouldn't go for a conventional spring and damper setup as the suspension on ABC-equipped cars has no provision for anti-roll bars which will result in a rather dubious handling/riding car if the ABC is no longer there to provide that functionality.

I personally wouldn't go for a conventional spring and damper setup as the suspension on ABC-equipped cars has no provision for anti-roll bars which will result in a rather dubious handling/riding car if the ABC is no longer there to provide that functionality.

That has always been my big concern in regards to springs and shockers on the S-class, and one of the reasons i didnt do this 2 years ago when i thought my valve block had failed (£1,600 repair bill).

But recently there have been some good reviews from people who have actually had the suspension replaced and i think Strutmasters themselves have made a few improvements to aid handling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom