W220 S Class MPG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To be fair, the original question was around MPG.

I regulary saw over 40 in mine, reset my MPG read out every month so 40 over around 3-4k miles. Was very impressed with that and it went like a train too.

I'm presuming that was a 320 cdi diesel?

I'm presuming that was a 320 cdi diesel?

It was and driven with no regard to fuel economy whatsoever. :devil:

A friend of mine currently owns my old one and is amazed how good it is on fuel.

OK been looking today with him, done my research on the airmatic suspension and the bits were far cheaper than I imagined and there is a strut conversion so that's that one covered, every s class today had minor electric niggles or stuff not working is that normal, nothing that a day with an auto electrician couldn't fix but slightly worrying all the same. Gear lever sticking is a worry looked at a few others too so if you had the choice (and I know it's an MB forum) what would you go for or recommend

S class W220
Audi A8 4.2 quattro
BMW 7 series

I have to admit the S classes I drove today drive better than our Audi A8, I was very tempted myself.:D

Lexus are not in the running as he considers them trying to be an MB when they are not (fair point I suppose) and diesels are definitely out, says he will never drive a tractor again :D

all advice welcome

W220 S500

The amount of money saved off the new price means you can budget for repairs and then you know new parts are fitted.

That's the way I look at mine :)

Thats the way I look at it too. The reported problems could be an issue but also could have been addressed on the car he would buy. The parts prices aren't as bad as I thought the only show stopper could be the gearbox but will check out how much it would cost to get one recon if it did go.

I'll tell you what though I really have developed a taste for the S500 myself very tempted, one of the best cars I have driven and I've driven my fair share. Is a S500 an everyday driver though doing 20k a year? I reckon that's £4.4K a year in fuel but I was planning on buying a new car to replace the Volvo anyway so is a secondhand S500 a better option?

This really has me thinking as I was that impressed by the drive of the S500

Is a S500 an everyday driver though doing 20k a year?

If you experience negligible problems then it's realistically only fuel, brakes and tyres. I know you'd change the oil yourself.

Straightforward engine - no turbos :thumb:

Wear and tear items happen on all cars and I'm pretty sure you know how to sort out bushes etc. It's only the major bits that can cause angst - but that can happen in many a car from any manufacturer.

I do 10k a year in mine.

Any other pitfalls to watch out for on S class? Airmatic suspension seems to get quite a few mentions,is it really as problematic as people make out any other pointers on what to watch out for much appreciated :thumb:

My neighbour has an early W220 S500 ( on a T plate , I think ) and had a £2K+ bill at the local indy after a 'warning : ride height too low' message came on ; think he had to get both rear struts replaced .

......looked at a few others too so if you had the choice (and I know it's an MB forum) what would you go for or recommend

S class W220
Audi A8 4.2 quattro
BMW 7 series

I have to admit the S classes I drove today drive better than our Audi A8, I was very tempted myself.:D

all advice welcome

Being biased , I would also go for the S Class .

What else is out there ?

VW ? Phaeton ? newer Passat ?

Jaguar ?

My neighbour has an early W220 S500 ( on a T plate , I think ) and had a £2K+ bill at the local indy after a 'warning : ride height too low' message came on ; think he had to get both rear struts replaced .

About right but then you have brand new struts again.

Phaeton alternator change is reported to be £3k as it involves removing the engine.

On all engine varients or just the W12?

If you are considering a Phaeton or an S500 then it really should be the W12 ...

For Ian, short run I know but about 75/25 motorway/urban. Just under 122k miles (the car - not the journey :) )

s500mpg.JPG

Last edited:
My previous car was an S320 petrol. Motorway mpg was around 31 - 33mpg and a run home from work 6 miles ish in town traffic 26mpg, rush hour traffic, as low as 9mpg. Overall in the 4 years I had the car, 22mpg. In that time, things that went wrong was suspension pump replaced, no struts and I have heard of replacement seals rather than replce the strut. It was on a US site. I changed car purley because of the £100+ to fill the tank:(

If you are considering a Phaeton or an S500 then it really should be the W12 ...

For Ian, short run I know but about 75/25 motorway/urban. Just under 122k miles (the car - not the journey :) )

View attachment 25483

Thats not bad MPG wise.

Phaeton wise, the W12 is special but they also do a 4.2V8, which is a lot more reliable and still plenty fast and refined. Its where I'd put my money. Same engine thats in Ian F's car.

My S320 cdi 2005 model has just returned 39.7mpg on a journey from Chelmsford, Essex to Wadebridge, Cornwall.
Route was A12, M25 anticlock (fair amount of 50 limit roadworks) M4, M5, detour to go up and down Cheddar Gorge, back to M5, A30, A395, A39
Driving time 5.5 hours.
Most impressed.
Clive

My S320 cdi 2005 model has just returned 39.7mpg on a journey from Chelmsford, Essex to Wadebridge, Cornwall.
Route was A12, M25 anticlock (fair amount of 50 limit roadworks) M4, M5, detour to go up and down Cheddar Gorge, back to M5, A30, A395, A39
Driving time 5.5 hours.
Most impressed.
Clive

That's great!...but upgrade to a 2007 221 model and this is possible:D

Last edited:
post secondary cat removal

Same route as before, similar weather.

i5wy6x.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom