W220 S Class MPG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
Been asked a question by a friend that I don't know the answer to so thought I would ask someone who does as sure someone on here runs the above car.

A pal of mine is considering the above as his daily driver he has a 30 mile each way commute to work and live within 1/2 mile of the motor way at the other end the office is < 1 mile from the motorway he currently runs a W210 320 petrol which is averaging 31 - 32 mpg on this run (true brim to brim calcs). I believe the S Class comes in 4 engine variants 280, 320, 430 & 500 could anybody tell me what is the likely fuel consumption of these based on his commute?

I have never run or had any dealings with the S class so unable to help

All help and advice welcome as always

Cheers
Ian

My W126 500SEL , which will be much less economical than a W220 , gets into the low 20's in normal driving , including my 30 odd miles commute which is mostly motorway , but on a run can get into the high 20's ( got 29 mpg brim-brim on a recent run to Aberdeen , 70 mph most of the way on cruise ) ; I'd expect a newer S500 to better this .

If fuel economy is important , I'd expect a W220 S320 CDI to return decent mileage .

My W126 500SEL , which will be much less economical than a W220 , gets into the low 20's in normal driving , including my 30 odd miles commute which is mostly motorway , but on a run can get into the high 20's ( got 29 mpg brim-brim on a recent run to Aberdeen , 70 mph most of the way on cruise ) ; I'd expect a newer S500 to better this .

If fuel economy is important , I'd expect a W220 S320 CDI to return decent mileage .

A 220 would not do much better at your speeds on the run to Aberdeen from your home, maybe 33-34mpg at a gentle 70mpg cruise, which I suppose is really good for a car the size of a hotel with a 5litre engine.

A 220 320cdi is a very parsimonious car. I'd expect it to return the same, or better economy than the same E320cdi due to better aerodynamics.

The S320cdi (220 series) had a combined mpg figure of around 35 mpg and that was not difficult to achieve on a run cruising at an indicated figure well into the 70's. Drove mine to South of France and back and averaged over 36 mpg pressing on, and including some shopping and eating trips, visits to beach etc. Did 0-62 mph in 7.2 seconds and the straght six gave a wonderful kick in the back. Hugely enjoyable car to drive. Perfect balance, steering, performance and felt in every way like driving a much smaller car. And the ride was pure magic carpet. When I had mine for 30k miles, I didn't know how awful Britain's roads are. What potholes? Loved it.:)

Thanks for the replies so far anyone got real life experience of the petrol versions mpg?

Thanks for the replies so far anyone got real life experience of the petrol versions mpg?

Alas not. LTD has one and is well known to us up here and he reports 25mpg on a run without having to try to hard.

It won't be too far removed from what your Audi S8 (do you still have it) does.

S500 will return around 27-28mpg in those conditions based on my experience.

Thanks *** & LTD. Our Audi does 33 mpg on my run into the office which probably has a little more urban work than this and yes we still have it and still brings a grin to my face every time I drive it, when I can get it off SWMBO that is.

I think he was hoping he could get the right side of 30 mpg any comments on if this is possible from the smaller engined cars? The book figures vary depending on whose data you look at but appear to be similar from the 280 to the 500 and I know which one I rather drive :D

Thanks *** & LTD. Our Audi does 33 mpg on my run into the office which probably has a little more urban work than this and yes we still have it and still brings a grin to my face every time I drive it, when I can get it off SWMBO that is.

I think he was hoping he could get the right side of 30 mpg any comments on if this is possible from the smaller engined cars? The book figures vary depending on whose data you look at but appear to be similar from the 280 to the 500 and I know which one I rather drive :D

**** the 280, it will be a slug.

Would he consider a diesel as they average well above 30mpg.

320 petrol, 350 petrol are ok and maybe 1-2mpg better than the V8 cars (430 and 500).

**** the 280, it will be a slug.

Would he consider a diesel as they average well above 30mpg.

320 petrol, 350 petrol are ok and maybe 1-2mpg better than the V8 cars (430 and 500).

Thats exactly my thoughts, why bother with a V6 when a V8 is on offer at more or less the same mpg. Unfortunately no he won't entertain diesel after a bad experience with a Volvo S60 D5

I doubt he'll get a 'real world' 30 plus MPG from a S500 without driving it like a nun and that is not what driving a car of it's design is all about.

If he needs to factor in that sort of economy to make it happen then he needs to look at the S320. Driving the S500 in town WILL make him cry if he craves economy.

Saying that, I'd buy a W221 S500 tomorrow :)

The one exception to that argument is a 350 V6 is maybe only 10bhp down on a 430 and a good bit lighter so will be no slower and cheaper to fuel and run.

Otherwise, 500 time.

Any other pitfalls to watch out for on S class? Airmatic suspension seems to get quite a few mentions,is it really as problematic as people make out any other pointers on what to watch out for much appreciated :thumb:

Suspension bits and bobs may need regular fettling on older cars. Bushes etc. but that's usually par for the course.

Rust around arches and sunroof area.

Secondary cat rattles.

Any other pitfalls to watch out for on S class? Airmatic suspension seems to get quite a few mentions,is it really as problematic as people make out any other pointers on what to watch out for much appreciated :thumb:

Struts go on all cars, airmatic just costs more. In fact, most things cost more on these cars.
I had a warranty on mine and spent £7k of their money in a year.
Torque converters let go but maybe no more than other models, injectors weren't cheap either.

Suspension bits and bobs may need regular fettling on older cars. Bushes etc. but that's usually par for the course.

Rust around arches and sunroof area.

Secondary cat rattles.

Thanks for that I read about the secondary cat rattles and I guess the dreaded tin worm applies to all MB :)

Also Gearlever getting stuck,which is a £500-600 fix.

Tell him not to read the reliabilty Survey in What Car -September Issue- where the S class shows up really badly on cars over 3 years old.

Thats exactly my thoughts, why bother with a V6 when a V8 is on offer at more or less the same mpg. Unfortunately no he won't entertain diesel after a bad experience with a Volvo S60 D5

to dismiss diesel on the basis of a volvo d5 is plain stupid! (no offence)

it's a pig, it's a pig, it's a PIG!

To be fair, the original question was around MPG.

I regulary saw over 40 in mine, reset my MPG read out every month so 40 over around 3-4k miles. Was very impressed with that and it went like a train too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom