W220 S class phone not working.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V8 Supercharger

Car
W221 S600 V12 Bi-Turbo
2004 S-class.

Iv had the car for approx. a year and a half now and in all that time the phone has never come ON. Iv tried pressing the power button on the phone and holding it but it wont turn on.

Could the battery be knackered on it or would it not be charging from the car itself? All it says on the command screen is that the phone is not available, im guessing because it wont switch on.

The phone in the armrest is a Nokia 6310i.

Never have used one of these before in a car, so how does the SIM card larky work, is it on a specific network, any network, their own network???

Thanks eGuru, i THINK i might have got some kind of an answer as to why its not working.

Iv taken the phone out of the car and bought it inside the house. The first thing iv noticed is that the battery is loose on the back, and the second thing is that iv now had it on charge with an old Nokia plug charger for about an hour and the screen doesnt show the charge bars and the phone still wont switch on. I know the charger works perfectly fine on another Nokia, so im pretty sure the phone itself is goosed for what ever reason (most probable is the amount of heat in that armrest).

Just to confirm, will ANY 6310i work in there, or is it a specific Mercedes one that works? I was thinking of an ebay job.

I dont think there a firmware would be out of date as this is the original mobile for the car.

Any 6310i works on an MB but you should check that it comes with fresh SW (it could be difficult to have these updated any more).

My car came with the 6210 and I had to upgrade the phone controller to allow me to use a 6310i. There are plenty of these phones available on ebay.
I have only just got myself a smartphone that works pretty well with a Viseoo BT adapter.

My car came with the 6210 and I had to upgrade the phone controller to allow me to use a 6310i. There are plenty of these phones available on ebay.
I have only just got myself a smartphone that works pretty well with a Viseoo BT adapter.

Mina already has the 6310i as standard and i wasnt really looking to upgrade it any further.

But with mobile phone use being seen as equivelent to a triple murder now-a-days its not really worth the hassle to be using it. Id love to convert mine to Bluetooth that just connects straight through the car, that way i dont need a second sim or keep switching my own sim around.

But im not sure exactly how these Viseo devices work, what i need and which phones work them?

You just attach the ViseeO adapter to the phone cradle in the car (instead of the Nokia 6310i phone). Just about any BT HF capable phone (= any phone today) works via BT then.

Thanks gents, much appreciated.

When i first got the car new i was reading up on these ViseeO devices but for some reason they came accross abit complicated, with the need to change the cradle and talk of MHI, UHI etc etc so i gave up on the idea.

But if its a straight plug and play device then yeah, il just be better off getting one of these instead. Average price for a MBU3000 is about £150, which is not the cheapest but not altogether bad either.

Im just hoping that after spending £150 its not something else instead!!!

Can the phone be checked on STAR to determine what the problem may be?

Like i said im pretty certain its the phone itself as it wont come on, but just to rule out any further problems down the line.

Well only thing you can do is find another 6210 or 6310 to try, or a new battery for yours from ebay, they dont cost much.

Well only thing you can do is find another 6210 or 6310 to try, or a new battery for yours from ebay, they dont cost much.

I think thats what i may end up doing first just to eliminate the problem, or to get to the bottom of it. Any cheapy 6310 should do the trick as long as it come on.

You need to use the Viseeo MBU1000 or the newer MBU3000. www.commandonline.co.uk/Mercedes-Bluetooth

See this is the problem i was having the first time around with the upgrade aswell.

In the link you have provided it mentions that cars of around 2003/2004 may have one system or the other and may need 1 of 2 different things. As my car is an early 2004 model im not too sure which bit i need now. I wish this was simpler. :confused:

I bought the MBU-3000 and it works with any phone that has Bluetooth, smartphones like the iPhone 4S are brill and you can use Siri.
Plus my Antenna was not working and you don't need it with a Viseeo unit. Antenna is also part of the GPS antenna so Sat Nav was down, purchased a retro fit for £8 and that has been fantastic, forget the £200+ genuine one.

Steve...

Right, borrowed a 6210 phone and popped that in. At first it wouldnt do anything, then it started charging up. Good news i thought. Switched the phone on and the car is STILL giving the message "Tel Error - Tel not plugged in", which was the original message that i kept getting anyway.

So just ran a diagnostic via STAR on it and these are the 2 codes its come up with.

N1201 - The microphone line from component B25 (hands-free system microphone) to component A34/4 (CTEL interface) has a short circuit or an open circuit.

N1209 - Communication fault between component A34/4 (CTEL interface) and A34/6 (portable CTEL); component A34/4 (CTEL interface) is not comppatible with component A34/6 (postable CTEL)

I didnt think it would be anything to do with the phone, my only concern for now is wether its not picking up the phone because its a 6210 rather than a 6310???

Ok, looking back over the fault codes for the last couple of days, and reading only the words, not the numbers, it seemed that the second code was telling the the mobile was not compatible with the cradle. After all, i had just used a 6210 instead of a 6310. It might be nothing or it might be something.

So i went and got myself a proper 6310, witched it on, put it into the cradle and hey presto, the cars picked it up, read all the phone book entries, makes and receives calls and everything is done through the Command screen or the steering wheel buttons.

Couldnt be a happier chap. Now im going to get a Viseeo MBU-3000 unit for it so all should be good.

In the end, just needed the right model of phone for it.

Ok, looking back over the fault codes for the last couple of days, and reading only the words, not the numbers, it seemed that the second code was telling the the mobile was not compatible with the cradle. After all, i had just used a 6210 instead of a 6310. It might be nothing or it might be something.

So i went and got myself a proper 6310, witched it on, put it into the cradle and hey presto, the cars picked it up, read all the phone book entries, makes and receives calls and everything is done through the Command screen or the steering wheel buttons.

Couldnt be a happier chap. Now im going to get a Viseeo MBU-3000 unit for it so all should be good.

In the end, just needed the right model of phone for it.

Very good that the phone system is up and running. There is however still something odd because the 6310(i) capable car kit should work fine with a 6210 phone, even a 5110 or 5150 (where the helix antenna may cause problems when seating the phone to the cradle).

Hopefully the 6210 had a connector issue instead of an intermittent issue at the cradle (contacts) or its wiring causing the observed behaviour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom