w220 s320 cdi & r170 230k - same engine oil use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Upex

Car
2001 s320 cdi w220 & 1998 slk 230 komp r170
Hi all, I'm looking to confirm, or rule out choices in oil and would appreciate any input.

I'm looking for an oil than can be used in both my s320 2001 cdi and the wife's slk 230k 1998. Both are high mileage, 150k and 160k miles respectively.

Checked both handbooks and the s says 229.1 or 229.3 and the slk says 229.1, but no mention in either to being fully synthetic etc, which I think is what I should use. I also think it's safe to use 229.5 spec oils in 3 or 1 as it's better spec and backward compatible?

Check euro car parts and they offer oils based on the reg, but these change between the two cars, so for instance, the petronas syntium 7000 0w40 shows up for the slk, but not for the diesel s. This oil is listed on the 229.5 spec list, so how do I know if it's suitable for the s class as ecp don't show it for it?

Is it feasible that an oil could work in the petrol and diesel cars? As having looked at the web, handbooks and the 229.5 spec sheet, I can't find any differences for petrol engines vs diesel engines that would show different oils, apart from the filtering that ecp apply via the web.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Thanks Bob, I take it then that there isn't a suitable oil for use in both the petrol and diesel cars then?

I've always used different oils but was looking for an easier solution as end up with lots of half bottles of different oils etc and euro car parts showed the Castrol edge under both regs, which prompted this question as would make my life easier using just one, and cheaper as could buy bigger. However I've just cheked again and the 2 edges are different, o well.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom