W220 S500 Harmonic Balancer Removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattyv33

Car
2001 W220 S500
Hi all,

Trying to find a way of locking the harmonic balancer pulley so I can undo the 27mm bolt - I have spent days researching the subject, bought all relevant parts like genuine merc harmonic balancer and bolt, torque wrench to tighten to 200nm and 27mm impact socket.

I have two lengths of scaffolding pipe for leverage.

I had bought a length of steel (50mm thick) and had 4 holes drilled at the end, I then put to long bolts through and wedged it on the ground. It seemed to work but then fell out.

Wondering if anyone has made their own tool...

I have seen the video on YouTube where he uses an equal tee with coupler and flange which works well but this won't work with the 27mm bolt.

I can't seem to find a flange that will fit inside the balancer as well as fit the 27mm bolt through the middle.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, really want to get the beast back on the road!

Cheers

Sorry, I should of mentioned I did find that tool but the only place it can be purchased is from a seller in America and it comes to £80 including shipping. Bit of a joke for a one time use item...

Hence I am trying to fabricate my own tool somehow - I have been thinking today and tonight I am going to cut two small lengths off the end of the metal rod and create a triangle at the end so I can thread another bolt through the top to hopefully hold it more securely.

I will post a picture when I get back.

Thanks for the suggestions, I am glad to say I managed to modify the original plan and the tool I made worked perfectly - it cost me the grand total of £5, I got the bolts free from work.

As you can see in the pictures below, it fits inside the pulley with just enough room to put the 27mm socket on the bolt. The bar then rests on the metal cross member directly underneath - this is why I cut the end at an angle.

I thought I'd post a few pics and provide dimensions for anyone else who needs to complete the crankshaft pulley change but doesn't want to spend £80 on the proper tool.

The bar is 50mm thick and 1.5" wide.
The longest side is 11.5" and the opposite side is 11" (this creates the angle to rest on cross member).

The holes were drilled randomly at a metal fabricators where I got the metal bar but funnily enough fit perfectly.

The holes to drill are at 3.5cm and 8cm from the end (ignore other holes).

The bolts are M8 and cut so they fit just inside the pulleys holes and not stick out.

Hope this is of use, thought I'd update as I hate reading stuff that never concludes...

Cheers,

Matt

Attachments

• DSC_0470.jpg
    DSC_0470.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0472.jpg
    DSC_0472.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0473.jpg
    DSC_0473.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 25