W221 Airmatic suspension control (RTFM problem?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeInWimbledon

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
(Ex S211 E500, W212 E500, C216, S212 E500, W211 E500 5.5, W221 S500, S211 E500, SL500, S500, E55)
mikeinwimbledon-albums-w221-s500-picture10692-rear-quarter.jpg

My 2007 W221 S500 is a magic carpet on its 17 inch wheels. I do enjoy a wafty ride.

I know that if I switch to "Sport," the car will change its gear change points and drop the car by an inch. And I know the suspension will harden slightly when the speed gets to be a little bit fast.

Simple question this: can I just drop / harden the suspension "when I want to," without changing the gear change algorithm / change points. Sometimes I feel as if I want to just tighten things up a little, and I'm used to being able to do this on both the E500 and the SL.

For clarity, I'm not talking about a Mercedes engineer being able to fettle the position in the Workshop "to customer taste," I'm only talking about being able to harden things up from the cabin, on demand.

Apologies if this just an RTFM problem, but I can't see a way of doing it.

Last edited:
I have tried to RTFM, but think it depends on which suspension you have fitted. If you have Airmatic, the car will automatically lower at speeds of 60mph and above, but this is not necessarily firmer. On my 2012 W221, there is a switch between the main instrument panel and COMAND screen, which can be set to Airmatic Sport or Comfort, or in my case ABC Sport or Comfort and I don't think this alters the gearbox change points. Pic attached, in case it helps. Having said all of the above, I am sure that this would have already been obvious and investigated by you.

Attachments

• ABC switch.jpg
    ABC switch.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 10
Sadly, I don't have that kind of manual control in the fascia

Sadly THAT Comfort / Sport control button isn't on my car.... All I can do is simply lift the car - for rutted roads etc.

mikeinwimbledon-albums-new-s500-picture10706-s500-airmatic.jpg

I knew that was too easy

It does sound as if you are stuck with changing from Comfort to Sport mode to get the extra firmness on suspension. Shame, although there is a lot to be said for the magic carpet ride!

BTW, nice pic - almost exactly the same as mine :thumb:

Alternatively, there's always the option of....

I need to get used to the car. I may go "racy" and switch to 18's to firm things up a bit permanently- but I usually regret it later.

But it's curious that the settings can't be adjusted manually from within the cabin.

Btfm

I probably should have made it clearer. I did actually RTFM, but I thought I must have missed something. What would be the point of having all that adjustability if you had to adjust the gear change points as well if you wanted a firmer suspension setting?

I guess I have to Believe TFM.

Out of curiosity and having too much time on my hands today, I had a quick look at an owners manual (PDF from US, so maybe not an exact match), but it would appear that you probably only have the option of setting the program to C or S. Maybe just enjoy driving harder!

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/service_and_parts/owners_manuals#!year=2007&class=S-Class
I have a 2006 Mercedes s class that has gone in limp mode rn and is giving hard shift.

The fault code is see on scanning the car is 2716
When I tried to clear the fault with my mechanic it did go out of limp mode for a bit and start working properly but post 2 hrs after turning it on again, the issue of limp mode happened again

Before this I faced a issue with my car in which it had gone in limp mode and I did not realise and thought it might just be the transmission fuel that's low .

So as a result it broke my ism and I have to change the intelligence servo module which I bought from sino-autobase.com

Luckily the piece worked out for me and when I turned on the car at that moment all was good but immediately after next day this issue of limp mode started and this fault code of 2716 is now a fixed fault code which is current and stored in ECM.

Please help me understand what could be the issue and solution

Pic of the fault code and message attached below

57448aa9730ded329c501680840a58ae.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom