W221 Euro5 or Euro6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S350L

Car
Mercedes
Hi Guys

As you'll know from recent posts, I have a late 2011 W221.

After contacting Mercedes regarding some recent issues I'm having, I got a lengthy reply back from them, which most was waffle, however one thing stood our. It said my car conformed to Euro6 !!!

I thought it was Euro5, which TfL do as they're happily taking £12.50 a day from me when I visit my old mum.

I put my car details in to a couple of website checkers and they say its Euro6. Does this mean TfL have it wrong?

Thx in advance

As you can see, Euro 6 was made compulsory in 2015, it may be a date thing with TFL

The OM642 engine was in production since 2005.

The EU6 standard was first announced in 2007, then updated in 2012 and 2014, and became mandatory in 2015.

So the OM642 engine did not start its life as EU6 compliant, instead it become compliant at some point before 2015.

The earliest reference I could find for OM642 with EU6 classification is from 2012. I am guessing that that's when in became compliant.

So likely your 2011 car is still only EU5 compliant. But you're right, it's difficult to know for certain. You could look-up the official emissions data for your car and compare it to the max requirements under EU5 and EU6.

The OM642.863 in my June 2013 CLS is only Euro 5 according to the datacard.

The OM642.863 in my June 2013 CLS is only Euro 5 according to the datacard.
As far as I know, Mercedes produced Euro 5 and Euro 6 togehter as a kind of A/B testing perhaps? When I was looking for a Euro 6 B-Class W246 for my daughter, I noted that some W245 produced in 2015 were Euro 6 while other 2015 were Euro 6. It was really confusing and in the end we made our purchase decison based on verifying the short-listed cars via the TFL website!

TfL have had all kinds of errors in their database. All, strangely, in their favour.

just write to TfL, details on their website, enclosing a copy of the MB letter of conformity from Mercedes and they will update their records, and stop charging you.

All that matters is the Mercedes statement that it’s Euro6

TfL have had all kinds of errors in their database. All, strangely, in their favour.

just write to TfL, details on their website, enclosing a copy of the MB letter of conformity from Mercedes and they will update their records, and stop charging you.

I seem to remember that TFL will want to see the CoC and not a letter from the Manufacturer.

I seem to remember that TFL will want to see the CoC and not a letter from the Manufacturer.
In 2018 TFL wrongly encoded my S211 e350. I called MB Milton Keynes, and spoke to a woman who said “TfL do it all the time” and sent me a letter confirming that the car was Euro6. I passed this on to TFL, who changed the coding and cancelled my penalty notice.

Its FREE

Here’s the process from the MB Homologation Office - the link title says Import / Export but the process covers straight U.K. vehicles

Home Page - Mercedes-Benz Import and Export of Vehicles

Last edited:
Phone TFL up with your right information, they are good on the phone and very helpful. I phoned them last week about my Historic Lambretta if i put it in the TFL checked on my computer it says i have to pay the £12.50 a day, so i phoned them and they said on there's it said i don't, so give them a ring with your facts as back up. Might be an idea to get them to send you confirmation you don't if you are worried. Good luck

Thanks good to know that TFL will accept a letter from the Manufacturer, but any reason why you couldn't just send in your CoC (or is it the COA) that comes with the car stating its emmissions?

Thanks good to know that TFL will accept a letter from the Manufacturer, but any reason why you couldn't just send in your CoC (or is it the COA) that comes with the car stating its emmissions?
I don't know the answer to that question. If it says Euro6, why not call TfL or just send it in ?

The good news is that this problem is fixable.

Yep, tfl website said my car was subject to ulez after I changed to a private plate. Was surprisingly quick to get the required letter from MB and then submitting through tfl website also surprisingly efficient and was updated within days (this was last Sept)

Hi Guys

As you'll know from recent posts, I have a late 2011 W221.

After contacting Mercedes regarding some recent issues I'm having, I got a lengthy reply back from them, which most was waffle, however one thing stood our. It said my car conformed to Euro6 !!!

I thought it was Euro5, which TfL do as they're happily taking £12.50 a day from me when I visit my old mum.

I put my car details in to a couple of website checkers and they say its Euro6. Does this mean TfL have it wrong?

Thx in advance
Hi , Euro 6 diesel engine cars can fall foul of Transport for London.Its all to do when the car was registered

I had the same issue on my 2010 S350 Bluetec - in my case the paperwork with the car came with a certificate of conformity / homologation (mostly in german) confirming the Euro6 emissions status - TFL accepted that along with the V5C as proof and updated their system.

I’ve been looking into this as my brothers 2013 B180cdi was not ULEZ compliant and was subject to a £12.50 daily charge for entering the ULEZ zone buy my 2001 S320cdi is showing as fine. I’m not complaining, just confused why a newer car would not meet the requirements. Obviously the congestion would still apply.

I’ve been looking into this as my brothers 2013 B180cdi was not ULEZ compliant and was subject to a £12.50 daily charge for entering the ULEZ zone buy my 2001 S320cdi is showing as fine. I’m not complaining, just confused why a newer car would not meet the requirements. Obviously the congestion would still apply.

Euro 6 emissions level became mandatory in the EU for all new cars as of 2014 (for the 2015 model year).

The Euro 6 standard itself was published in 2007, and new engines developed after that were mostly alreasy designed as Euro, 6 for future-proofing.

So car engines became Euro 6 compliant gradually over a period spanning a number of years in the run-up to the 2014 deadline.

Does the B180 have a renault engine? If so maybe there development was later.

Euro 6 emissions level became mandatory in the EU for all new cars as of 2014 (for the 2015 model year).

The Euro 6 standard itself was published in 2007, and new engines developed after that were mostly alreasy designed as Euro, 6 for future-proofing.

So car engines became Euro 6 compliant gradually over a period spanning a number of years in the run-up to the 2014 deadline.
Mine falls under Euro 3 and so does my CLK which is also 2001 but both are fine to travel in Londons ULEZ zone with no charge. The only place is Birmingham City where I would incur a fine.

Does the B180 have a renault engine? If so maybe there development was later.
I thought the 1.5 engines were Renault, his was the 1.8 which I believe was a Mercedes engine (don’t quote me on this). I just found it odd a newer car was non compliant with ULEZ with all the newer technology. I only go to London these days once in a while so it doesn’t affect me as much as people who make regular trips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom