W221 HELP - Screeching noise on acceleration.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IndieC

Car
Mercedes W211
Hi all.

I'm in desperate need of some help and advice.
I have a w211 2005 320cdi.

It drives absolutely beautifully. It has recently developed a horrible screeching sound (almost like nails on a blackboard) when accelerating at around 2 thousand revs.
I took it to a mechanic and they changed water pump, tensioner pulley and belt. That wasn't the problem! They also checked the turbo and that is completely fine too! He checked all the front end pulleys and pumps and they are fine. He has now said this could be an eternal problem in the engine (which i very much doubt) , this will require stripping the whole engine.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue? Or can someone recommend to me what this could be?

More info needed really.........
Only when driving car?
stationery acceleration ?
stationery turning the steering side to side ?

I guess the garage has tried these things to see if it's engine related or brake catching somewhere.

Alternator pulley checked out OK?

More info needed really.........
Only when driving car?
stationery acceleration ?
stationery turning the steering side to side ?

I guess the garage has tried these things to see if it's engine related or brake catching somewhere.
Thanks for the reply

This issue is when I drive and when stationary. When I press the accelerator the noise occurs. When I turn left and right there is no noise.

Thanks for the reply

This issue is when I drive and when stationary. When I press the accelerator the noise occurs. When I turn left and right there is no noise.
So the noise goes when turning the steering wheel ?

If that's correct then the power steering pump bearing is worn causing the noise......... new pump will fix the problem

If that's correct then the power steering pump bearing is worn causing the noise......... new pump will fix the p
If that's correct then the power steering pump bearing is worn causing the noise......... new pump will fix the problem

I don'think the sound is related to the steering. The power steering pump is working perfectly well.

When I drive and accelerate and when car is stationary and I rev the car that's when the noise occurs.

This reminds me of a job I had on a Honda v6 motor, turned out to be the oil pick up pipe filter blocking up.......
Just a thought?

Check alternator pulley and belt tension, but best guess is alternator if over run type

Last edited:
Check alternator pulley and belt tension, but best guess is alternator if over run type

Thanks will get the mechanic to check this over.

Def worth a check , part is cheap to change if you got to OEM manufacture or gates and offen overlooked , I had identical issuue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom