W221 - How do I adjust headlight beam for continental driving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeremy156

Car
1995 E320 Coupe
On my W211 E-class there was a lever within the Xenon headlamp housing that pulled the shutter to an angle that provided a flat headlamp beam rather than a being raised to the left - thereby making it suitable for continental driving.

I've just started driving a W221 S-class but I'm stumped.... how on earth do I adjust the Xenon lights to be suitable for driving on the right? Is it possible, or do I need those ghastly stickers? Forum or Google searches aren't throwing any light on the topic (sorry, terrible pun :dk:).

Any assistance appreciated, heading to Holland tomorrow!

Cheers,
Jeremy

You sure it is not in the light menu in the cluster?
It was on my 535d and the W212.

The BMW was great, get off the tunnel with heads up display showing kmph, l/km, the nav showing km and metres and your headlights adjusted for right hand drive, without ever having to leave the car.

I've found nothing in the menus - in fact the owner guide says "take it to a dealer". I'm trying to work out of that's "because you'll get your precious little hands dirty" or "because you can only adjust via STAR".... etc.

Naturally, I don't mind oily hands, but I don't have STAR... just need to work out whether I really need to bother the garage with it tomorrow!

It would be useful to know more about the car. Which MY, Xenon lights etc?

Attachments

• W221 continental driving.JPG
    W221 continental driving.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Per the original post it has Xenon lights, but I forgot to mention the model year, 2007.

I managed to nip into MBS of Southampton this morning and Colin confirmed that it's the same sort of lever behind the plastic cover as in the W211, however to adjust the nearside lamp I'd need to strip out the washer bottle - not a trivial task.

Given how many other things are electrically adjustable, I'm surprised MB didn't include such an option on the W221 S-class. Oh well.... stickers it is!

The facelift W221 (2009-2013) does. It changes the pattern from \___\___ to just ___ ___

2hqwgau.jpg

cmg4z.jpg

I had an 2007 S500 and had the same issue and found it was just easier to put up with the ghastly headlight stickers for a little while. The RAC stickers leave no residue at all, I found them good on my last car

Per the original post it has Xenon lights, but I forgot to mention the model year, 2007.

Sorry, missed that xenon bit. The attachment I posted was for a 2007. Removing the washer reservoir should be easy, except if it has heater pipes. The stickers may still be a better choice.

Yeah, heater pipes.... Colin warned me they may be brittle... and therefore the morning of the evening of driving to the continent isn't the day to find out ;)

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom