W221 Intake Manifold runner sensor fault

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oteda

Car
V221
Hi Gents,

Would appreciate some advice here, if anyone has had the same issue. My car has been stuck in limp mode with the engine management light, after having it diagnosed, the error came as the intake manifold runner sensor.

They dont know weather it is the motors or the whole manifold and need to take it apart to have a look.

I have also heard that you could lubricate the manifold flap/clean the carbon deposits and this should rectify the problem. Has anybody had this issue sorted by doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Inlet port shutoff motor. Just have a search on here. Had mine done 2 weeks ago, dont waste your money on cheap fixes. You are just putting off the the inevitable.

How did I miss this one.

It could be either. I changed the manifold, turbo seals (which can leak oil onto the IPS motor breaking it meaning the swirl flap mechanism is rendered in-operable). and IPS motor and the car has been fine.

What can also happen is the IPS motor can be fine, but the linkages that operate the flaps can break, as the manifold gets clogged up.

You can clean the manifolds but two indies suggested just changing them, as if you damage the plastic swirl flaps, you can do major damage if they get injested into the engine.

The manifold mechanism looks sturdy to me, but I would be inclined to take the garages advice.

The car does need taken apart, its the only way to tell, so it looks like your garage is doing the right thing. Price wise, IPS motor faults inc labour + VAT are maybe £500. Manifolds etc could be £1500 all in. Big costly job.

Been there myself.

How did I miss this one.

It could be either. I changed the manifold, turbo seals (which can leak oil onto the IPS motor breaking it meaning the swirl flap mechanism is rendered in-operable). and IPS motor and the car has been fine.

What can also happen is the IPS motor can be fine, but the linkages that operate the flaps can break, as the manifold gets clogged up.

You can clean the manifolds but two indies suggested just changing them, as if you damage the plastic swirl flaps, you can do major damage if they get injested into the engine.

The manifold mechanism looks sturdy to me, but I would be inclined to take the garages advice.

The car does need taken apart, its the only way to tell, so it looks like your garage is doing the right thing. Price wise, IPS motor faults inc labour + VAT are maybe £500. Manifolds etc could be £1500 all in. Big costly job.

Been there myself.

Thanks, its good to know garage is being honest. Will see what he says once he takes it apart. Shame that this is going to cost so much.

£770 ouch. Did'nt have inlet manifolds changed just cleaned. Its a different car goes like stink again. Will keep it now for a bit longer until next big bill anyway!!!!

£770 nots so bad, I spent nearly £2000 getting mine sorted.

Once the turbos are sealed up, manifolds are changed, they really shift. Wicked fun!!!

Inlet port shut off motor gone again. 10k miles and it going in to limp again. Should have got prestige down south to do job and had the inlet manifolds changed. tried to save a few quid and now cost double. Bah humbug!!!

When the motor is being changed it is standard practice to check the linkage on either side of the inlets.
Sorry to hear of your misfortune

I see Steve's got a little 'banned' label under his name!

Admin with a sense of humor! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom