w221 owners?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ipwn

Car
Db9
Hi everyone, purchased my first ever Mercedes S500! Love it already but I do have some questions with my purchase.

1. On cold there is a jerk going from 2-3 on this 722.9. When warm the transmission operates fine. The car has only done 50K so I intend to change the fluid as I'm extremely handy with a spanner. Just asking if this is normal to have a jerk like this or is it an early sign on a failure with the TCM or something?

2. I get a knocking from the front at slow speeds, I prematurely ordered some droplinks as I couldn't be bothered to stick it on the 2 poster. Yesterday I decided to stick it up and inspected the bushes and they're split badly so need to stick on some new control arms. Whilst I'm here is there anything else that prematurely wears on teh suspension that I should look at? I did see the ARB bush glue thing

3. My blind is stuck down, I can hear the click but no action. I'm assuming it's dead and cba to take the interior apart. However just to confirm my understanding is there isn't a specific fuse for the rear blind, it is controlled by the sam module set?

I've already replaced the rear cam plugs as they were leaking, thought it was the rocker cover gasket but it wasn't. Easiest repair ever :rock:

1. It happens on my S500 and also another S (not sure of engine) that I was in. Old threads on MBWorld suggests gearbox mounts.

2. I had that too, got it checked over, nothing else needed as far as I can remember.

3. Don't know but I uploaded some fuse diagrams for you.

Attachments

• W221 facelift Fuse assignment of fuse and relay box in left engine compartment.pdf
    41.4 KB · Views: 19
  • W221 facelift Fuse assignment of fuse and relay box in trunk.pdf
    34.6 KB · Views: 8
  • W221 facelift Fuse assignment of fuse box in left of cockpit.pdf
    25.1 KB · Views: 7
More

Attachments

• W221 facelift Fuse assignment of fuse box in luggage compartment.pdf
    13.7 KB · Views: 2
  • W221 facelift Fuse assignment of fuse box in right of cockpit.pdf
    24.9 KB · Views: 3
  • W221 facelift Fuse assignment of prefuse box in engine compartment.pdf
    21.3 KB · Views: 3
Even more

Attachments

• W221 facelift Fuse assignment on interior prefuse box.pdf
    20.2 KB · Views: 3
  • W221 facelift Relay assignment of fuse and relay box in left side of engine compartment.pdf
    17.8 KB · Views: 3
  • W221 facelift Relay assignment of fuse and relay box in trunk.pdf
    17 KB · Views: 2
Hi everyone, purchased my first ever Mercedes S500! Love it already but I do have some questions with my purchase.

1. On cold there is a jerk going from 2-3 on this 722.9. When warm the transmission operates fine. The car has only done 50K so I intend to change the fluid as I'm extremely handy with a spanner. Just asking if this is normal to have a jerk like this or is it an early sign on a failure with the TCM or something?

2. I get a knocking from the front at slow speeds, I prematurely ordered some droplinks as I couldn't be bothered to stick it on the 2 poster. Yesterday I decided to stick it up and inspected the bushes and they're split badly so need to stick on some new control arms. Whilst I'm here is there anything else that prematurely wears on teh suspension that I should look at? I did see the ARB bush glue thing

3. My blind is stuck down, I can hear the click but no action. I'm assuming it's dead and cba to take the interior apart. However just to confirm my understanding is there isn't a specific fuse for the rear blind, it is controlled by the sam module set?

I've already replaced the rear cam plugs as they were leaking, thought it was the rocker cover gasket but it wasn't. Easiest repair ever :rock:

Welcome to the forum.

Is it a black 10 plate S500 you bought from MB?

Thanks for the replies.

Well I can live without the rear blind after checking those diagrams :D

I haven't checked the mounts from underneath but it definitely feels like a jerk on cold within the actual transmission. Well the filter and gasket arrives tomorrow, anyone want me to make a youtube video?

No it isn't black or from MB. Did you PX a knackered one ? :D:D

No it isn't black or from MB. Did you PX a knackered one ? :D:D

Yup. Sounds like you got it!

I test drove one I while back and it just recently sold so there was a very slim chance!

However, I was going to say, MB had to replace the front wishbones as they were knackered (£1600 apparently - and it's a 10 plate car!). I wondered if it was related.

Proceeded to replace the control arms and drop links. Made sweet F all difference :doh:

Whilst the bushes were cracked it clearly was not the case. So I glued up the ARB and that made no difference.

So now I am stuck. The noise comes apparent when cold :confused:

It's very much like a scraping sound. All the undertrays, arches are all secure. There's no rubbing. I can't see anything loose. Head scratcher this one.

The wheel bearings did have slight play so I adjusted them and still the same knocks.

I take it back, the upper control arm bushings are split in half :wallbash::wallbash:

I am sure you are handy with a spanner,but the gearbox oil change is not the easiest job,look up some threads on here,the bolts that hold the sump on are once only,so you will need to buy them,and the the right oil must be used and only the right amount which is hard because there is no dip stick and the oil has to be up to temperature to get the right level,many people use Prestige who post on here and they can do the latest computer settings for you gearbox,best of luck let us know how you get on,I would add with that car and gearbox when cold it stays in gear a little longer when cold and you sometimes get to feel the change,but it is up to you.

Sorry, what I meant by handy with a spanner is that I really am handy with it. Whilst I'm not a mechanic, I have built my own private workshop as I got sick of being at the mercy of car garages. This is when I had to replace the bottom end bearings on the M5 :rock:

I have the 722.9 adapter and a special ATF filling unit which plugs into my compressor, its a similar principle to the 5hp19s and 6hp26s I;ve done in the past :) I also have a Autel Maxidas tool which reads the temp fine. Thinking about getting the Star though depending how I get on with this car :)

The unit below whilst I was in the service area:

2016_01_29_14_10_20.jpg

2015_02_13_14_52_02.jpg

2015_02_09_14_46_52.png

Last edited:
1. Not normal to have a jerk, these trannies should be butter smooth.

Got exact same problem as you

Mine is the castor bushes or anti roll bar bushes. I get a scraping noise when cold when going over bumps.

Hi there, which are the castor bushes upfront?

For the ARB bushes I performed the glue fix and it didn't make any form of difference so it must be these castor bushes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom