W221 reliability and running costs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mirras

Car
Range Rover TDV8
After having decided it's time to part company with my SL500 I'm now deciding whether to replace it. If I do I will either go for an old w211 (I had one for six years from new and loved it ) as a runabout or move up to the w221 S-Class I've fancied for a while. I'd like to pose a few questions to those in the know....

Is the airmatic system as delicate and prone to failure as ABC?

Are the running costs as extreme ( I'm looking at '07 320 CDI ) ?

Have any common faults surfaced yet ?

If I go for the w221 it will have to have, massage seats and 17" wheels ( for comfort ). Are there other options others would consider essential?

I've just priced replacement struts for the air suspension on a W221 and it they are only a couple of hundred quid cheaper than ABC stuts for my now departed R230. How reliable are these systems compared to the seemingly fragile ABC system? I know the oldest cars are only 5 years old but ABC started showing it's weaknesses before that. Fragility may be enough to put me off buying a W221.

I've got the same delightful engine (3.0 V6) in my S211 and it is as smooth as any other diesel I have driven.

I've covered about 2500 miles so far and it hasn't missed a beat and I'm on 131k.

Not to sway you too much, but if you've had a 211 before and you've just come out of an SL500, you are going to find the W221 rather cumbersome.

With your budget (proceeds from the SL?) I would be looking at a 2008ish E320 CDi and get the Brabus chip for that bit of extra oomph you may miss from the SL.

Here's a low mileage/high spec 211;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-...4640981?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3369940755

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you not be better finding a S420cdi or even an S500. The v6 will be good enough, but maybe not quite the level you are accustomed too.

Depends what you are choosing to spend on a car, you may find yourself into a low miles 212 E350cdi

Hi mirras ,

Maybe a PM to Peter ( C43AMG ) would help , he has had a fully loaded W221 S500 for ages and does fairly big miles in it.

The original plan was to run the SL for 2 or 3 years and then go back to an e-class ( I've had 3 already and loved them ) by getting a w212 once all the teething troubles had been ironed out. However.. after driving a couple of hundred miles in a w216 CL600 I fell for the quiet, comfort and environment. The closest I can practically get to this is to buy a 2006/7 w221 with the same toys. I may wait some time to do this as I don't actually need another car as I WFH and can use the wife's or daughter's cars on the rare occasions I need to travel by car.

While the SL500 was great fun, I won't miss the performance that much by switching to a 320 CDI I don't think. I'm not a fast driver most of the time and the 320 is no slouch.

Get the W221

It's not the top model of the Mercedes range for nothing ;)

Yes i have owned my W221 500 for 3.5 years and have done over 60,000 miles.

I have not had any problems with the car and colleges who mainly have the 350Cdi seem to be very happy.

As for the Airmatic, it seems to have improved over the W220 improved which i had.

I have not heard of the ABC being a problem either, which is only available as an option on the 500.

A very comfortable and enjoyable car to drive.

I had my 2007 S320 for three years and it was a delight. In that time the worst that happened to it was an engine oil filler cap that came loose and was replaced under warrany. Just a bit of oil mess on the engine. Other than that...nothing! The running costs were just standard Mercedes service and fuel at up to 50mpg if you are careful:D

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members-gallery/67380-s-class-sun.html

The W221 is simply the most relaxing and refined method of self drive road transport. Period.
I'm not sure it will ever be described as entertaining, but it is deeply impressive.

Deffo not the most entertaining but the best way to travel period. Get it in black keep it clean and watch the envious stares as you waft past.

Deffo not the most entertaining but the best way to travel period. Get it in black keep it clean and watch the envious stares as you waft past.

My SL was black and I have vowed never to have another black car... I developed OCD trying to keep it clean. I'm afraid it's back to silver for me ;)

Cl600 V12 with full AMG KIT . 6 Litre or sheer whoosh. Only way to go lol

That 5.5 engine is most definitely entertaining, it does more than waft, a great car.

Make sure you get the wood steering wheel and ambient light pack,really sets off the interior.

Make sure you get the wood steering wheel and ambient light pack,really sets off the interior.

You see, that's why this things are options:rolleyes:
I had the ambient light pack on mine and it served no real purpose and it is my own personal opinion that the wood steering wheel looks seriously tacky:eek:
I just hate the change in feel from cold and hard to soft and warm as the wheel passes through your hands....it's just all wrong!
Unlike the rest of the car which is....all right:D

Dont think ambient lighting meant to serve a real purpose, just looks nice!

I'm looking forward to owning a w221....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom