W221 S Class - COMMAND not functional - no audio but nav works

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wywywywy

Car
W221 S500 SWB (S65 AMG Style)
Hi all,

Basically I hadn't driven the car for a couple of weeks, and the batteries probably ran a bit low. It took much longer than usual to start and lots of warning lights were on, but after a blip of the throttle they were gone.

However, the COMMAND hasn't been right since.
- In navigation, it works but there is no sound
- In audio, it shows an empty radio station list, and memory card won't read
- In telephone, it shows a blank screen
- In video, it shows an empty TV station list

I have already tried reseting (then re-configuring), and I have also tried rebooting by holding the eject button. But they didn't solve the problem.

So what could it be? And how can I find out?

Dead secondary battery? (Possible)
Hard drive fault? (Unlikely because navigation works)
Antenna or antenna amplifier fault? (But GPS works)
Software corruption? (Unlikely because navigation works)
Amplifier? (Possible)
Audio tuner or TV tuner module? (Possible)

This is a 2007 W221 S Class with the Harman Kardon system.

Thanks.

Did you check all fuses (specifically for all fibre ring devices)?

Hi all,

Basically I hadn't driven the car for a couple of weeks, and the batteries probably ran a bit low. It took much longer than usual to start and lots of warning lights were on, but after a blip of the throttle they were gone.

However, the COMMAND hasn't been right since.
- In navigation, it works but there is no sound
- In audio, it shows an empty radio station list, and memory card won't read
- In telephone, it shows a blank screen
- In video, it shows an empty TV station list

I have already tried reseting (then re-configuring), and I have also tried rebooting by holding the eject button. But they didn't solve the problem.

So what could it be? And how can I find out?

Dead secondary battery? (Possible)
Hard drive fault? (Unlikely because navigation works)
Antenna or antenna amplifier fault? (But GPS works)
Software corruption? (Unlikely because navigation works)
Amplifier? (Possible)
Audio tuner or TV tuner module? (Possible)

This is a 2007 W221 S Class with the Harman Kardon system.

Thanks.

This sounds like the all too common fault which is the audio gateway/tuner failing? Ive seen the symptoms you describe many times. Occasionally they can be repaired. Is the car a diesel?

I too think it's most likely the audio gateway's fault, especially I found a little bit of damp in the boot of the car.

So I tried removing the panels in the boot yesterday and see what's going on, but 5 mins in it started raining and it hasn't stopped yet :( So I still don't know...

Still haven't done anything because of the weather.

However, this morning it just started working again! I'm so confused! It still wasn't working as of last night.

Maybe there was moisture and now it dried up? Maybe the battery takes an extraordinary amount of time to charge? I just don't know...

I wish there was something like the VAGCOM for Mercedes.

My comand does a similar thing, it's intermittent but happens quite often. If I leave the memory card in, about 1 time out of 20 it seems to lock up, phone doesn't connect, radio stations are blank and mp3s don't appear. I have just got into the habit of not leaving the memory card in and I don't have any problems.

Hi
I have a problem with your amp. One just broke and I bought another one on ebay but now interrupts me sound. The sound fades per second and back again. Is it the fault of the amplifier? I bought broken amp too?
Thanks

Hello, I have the same problem as wywywywy member. Did you find the solution please? Thank you. or I can find the memory card?

Problem with my radio W221

Hello, I have the same problem as wywywywy member. Did you find the solution please? Thank you. or I can find the memory card?

Hi, member wywywywy did you find out what was wrong, as I have the exact same problem with my 2007 w221. I'm beginning to think its either the amplifier (Harman Kardon) or the battery control module. Could you please let me know what was wrong with yours?

I'm beginning to think that it's water damage from water dripping through the grove next to the number plate, into the hole where the arm is, then onto the top of the amp, when opening the boot.

I recommend everyone to use boot limiter option.

So yes I think it's the amp. The DAS diagnosis tool can't even talk to it.

Thanks for the reply. I think I have the same problem as my dealer can't talk to the amp either. However In my case I think that water is leaking through the tail lamp as I read this on another post. I had the tail lamp replaced but not by the dealer so they may not have sealed it off properly? My first merc too so not a very good experience

I don't know, looking at the tail light itself, if there's a leak I think the water would run down the side rather than onto the amp. There's also the TV module between the amp and the tail light.

Just come back from the dealer and I'm getting the amp removed on Wednesday. I'm then going to check for moisture and try drying it out, hopefully that will work.

Right so I decided to open up the boot and take a look at the amp myself, I took the panel out but the tv tuner was stuck onto the amp so i didn't want to take it out in case I messed something else up, if I'm correct the part number would be on the left hand edge. The part number the dealer gave me was different from the ones I have seen on eBay and so on so I'm thinking that the numbers have changed since back in 2007. Does anyone know what the number was back in 2007?

Attachments

• image-2742873069.jpg
    image-2742873069.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 63
  • image-3063671625.jpg
    image-3063671625.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 59
It's more than "just" an amplifier.

It's also the radio and the controller.

As soon as I get the correct part number I'm going to find a used amp from a breaker because mercedes are quoting me £1900. If I get a used one will I have to get it coded or will it be plug n play?

Last edited:
Let me know if you manage to find one, I've had no luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom