W221 S-class heater intermittent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kay187

Car
S-class 320 CDI
Hi I've recently bought a w221 S-class and have issues with the climate/heater sometimes not blowing any air. I can hear the electronics kicking in and sometimes going over a bump helps but they working less frequently now.

From previous posts I can see the heater blower or regulator can be the culprit, what's the best way of diagnosing this? Is there a diy on how to remove these?

Many thanks.

You can measure the voltage from the regulator driving the motor. If missing or intermittent, the regulator needs to be replaced.

How many miles does the car have? Is it likely that the motor brushes would be worn?

Easy to access, under the dash passenger side, remove black plastic panel (t20/25 torx) you will now see a white plastic cover, this is the housing for the motor and the regulator, drop this down and then check voltages.

Water ingress is common and can damage both these components.

You can measure the voltage from the regulator driving the motor. If missing or intermittent, the regulator needs to be replaced.

How many miles does the car have? Is it likely that the motor brushes would be worn?

The car has 117k miles and is a '06 plate. I've just bought it but it has full service history. I'm not sure about the bushes. I do notice once the car is at speed, say on the motorway the blower is more prone to kick in. It tends not respond on startup or lower speeds :dk:

Easy to access, under the dash passenger side, remove black plastic panel (t20/25 torx) you will now see a white plastic cover, this is the housing for the motor and the regulator, drop this down and then check voltages.

Water ingress is common and can damage both these components.

How do I remove the carpet panel? Does it slide? I don't want to damage it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom