W221 S-Class - insurance (not bad) MPG (not bad) but...vibrations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gucci, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Gucci

Gucci Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
    Toying with the idea of an S-Class W221 at some point. Thought I'd put myself off with a notional insurance quote and it was fully comp for S350 CDI at £520. Not too shabby.

Ok, it fits on my drive (just), tyre prices not too bad, tax ok and the press heap praise on it. BUT, I see a few negatives online such as nightmare of gearbox failing at cost of £12k and talk of vibrations (excessive) at around 65mph and upwards. Really? Anyone heard this?

2. developer

developer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S212 E63 S
    Re the vibrations - check the wheels are true and round - proper enginering speak of the possibility of a buckled rim.

1 person likes this.
  3. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    221s have the same engine V6 and 7g box as other Mercedes.

That sadly means 7g valve body failure (£1500 fix not £12k) and inlet port shut off motor faults (£500 approx) with the rare possibility of front bearing failure £2k fix.

They do not vibrate, I had an E320cdi and borrow my Dads 221 S350 and it makes the E class seem like a tractor, its a level of refinement that really cannot be bettered.

1 person likes this.
  4. mirras

mirras Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover TDV8
    There is a 'known' issue with numbers of w221 drivers complaining of a vibration around 65-75mph. My car started doing the same and I have just had the Airmatic pump replaced and the vibration has now all but gone but I can still feel it slightly. I may now be over-sensitive.

1 person likes this.
  5. tode

tode Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S350 BTEC
    Although I can feel a slight vibration at low speeds (less than 60kph) since I've fitted the winter tyres, I find that the faster you go, the smoother the ride. At legal motorway speeds, there's no vibration at all.

1 person likes this.