W221 S-Class Whooshing Sound

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kay187

Car
S-class 320 CDI
Hi,

I've recently noticed a loud whooshing sound coming from the left hand side of the engine bay when accelerating around 3000 revs. The car pulls fine and no issues with performance but the sound is rather concerning. I looked around the forums and seen the intercooler pipe as being a possible cause but my usual mechanic can't see any issues there.

Also anyone recommend any decent Indys in the Glasgow southside area? Anyone used MB Jarvie? I want my codes read off a Star machine. I've had a front battery changed but still have a few electrical gremlins so want to see if anything comes up.

Thanks!

Ah yes, that'd be the sound that all S-Classes make as you surge past the paupers. :thumb:

Well my S320 if it was pulling 3000 revs in top gear would be doing over 100mph,I suppose you mean as you accelerate,it depends on how heavy footed you are but my bet would be the turbo,with regard making this noise as you pass paupers,I have no idea as I never look at the lowly cars I pass.

Well my S320 if it was pulling 3000 revs in top gear would be doing over 100mph,I suppose you mean as you accelerate,it depends on how heavy footed you are but my bet would be the turbo,with regard making this noise as you pass paupers,I have no idea as I never look at the lowly cars I pass.

Sorry yes I meant as I'm accelerating from standstill or when overtaking. My initial thoughts were turbo (God forbid!) but as the performance of the car is fine with no lag or anything I'm assuming the turbo is fine? Having said that I do see the odd white smoke from the exhaust which may or may not be related.

Whooshing sound in my 203 was a split pipe, not immediately obvious.

No idea, sorry. Dealer found and replaced under warranty. Would have cost £120 for the part..

I managed to get this sorted ;)

There appeared to be a loose (intake? not sure what it's called) pipe near the turbo.

R3dtJqb

Once I pushed this firmly in, the noise disappeared as far as I can tell so far.

Now to get the codes read and sort the electrical gremlins in the car....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom