W221 S320 Air Suspension Headache

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kay187

Car
S-class 320 CDI
Hey all,

I've recently had a spate of issues with my beloved S320 CDI with most recent being the air compressor being knackered.

Symptoms were I'd get the malfunction warning now and again with now the front end being on the deck, rear seems to be fine though.

I ran my iCarsoft on it which indicates an air leak but not sure how accurate this is. Also noticed front right level sensor voltage being a bit lower than the others.

Anyway took it to my mechanic who confirmed the pump is not pumping enough air pressure and then switching off. I've got the part number for it - A2213200704 so am on the hunt for a replacement.

My question is has anyone tried the 'OEM' ones on eBay? They seem to be decently priced and come with 2yr warranty. Funds are bit limited so I can't stretch to the original AMK ones at the moment.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Yes I fitted one 3 months ago, apart from the product marking the pump castings and mouldings seem identical, 3 months on I'm happy. regarding fitting, make sure to lubricate the three mounting fittings well before trying to unscrew, their are many people complain they snap easily, also the alloy "spacer" on the mountings can corrode and stick, again patience and lubrication might be required.

Things to also check, rubber intake hose if it's split replace it, this lets in moisture that kills the pump, the issue seems to be both scored cylinders and corrosion holding open the internal flap valves allowing leak back of pressurised air, change the intake filter, not mentioned as a service item but easy to change and readily available. finally ensure the pump output hose fitting is secure not over tight but this can also be a source of slow leakage if you don't install well.

Yes I fitted one 3 months ago, apart from the product marking the pump castings and mouldings seem identical, 3 months on I'm happy. regarding fitting, make sure to lubricate the three mounting fittings well before trying to unscrew, their are many people complain they snap easily, also the alloy "spacer" on the mountings can corrode and stick, again patience and lubrication might be required.

Things to also check, rubber intake hose if it's split replace it, this lets in moisture that kills the pump, the issue seems to be both scored cylinders and corrosion holding open the internal flap valves allowing leak back of pressurised air, change the intake filter, not mentioned as a service item but easy to change and readily available. finally ensure the pump output hose fitting is secure not over tight but this can also be a source of slow leakage if you don't install well.

Glad to hear it and thanks for the insightful advice regarding fitting. Will pass onto my mechanic once I get the pump next week.

Hows your car running otherwise? Mines is turning into a money pit these days

Had it almost 2 years, and replaced 1 abs sensor, thermostat and the pump so for me so far along with service costs I'm happy, the key measure I have is does the car ever breakdown IE not get me home, I have been running interesting older cars for more than 20 years and in all that time the only car to not get me to where I wanted to go was a new company car a Saab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom