W221 S320 CDI Engine vibration won't rev

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hamodi

Car
W221 S320L
So I had a fuel leak from my high pressure fuel pump. A member of the forum kindly advised that there are screws on the back of the pump so I removed and yes they were completely loose so I tightened up and refitted the pump.

Unfortunately the engine now has trouble starting, and when it does it just vibrates really bad, the whole car and engine is shaking almost as if its running on half the cylinders. It can't rev past 1500rpm. There is no longer any fuel leak but I didn't let it run for long, I just turned it off. I made sure to let it prime the fuel pump for a few minutes before starting. Have I destroyed the timing chain? I thought it was simply take pump out and refit.

I have tried putting it on a code reader but no codes and there is no engine light either. Don't know what to do as I've just gone and fixed a small problem but created a massive one :(

Just a guess, seeing as you have just sorted a fuel leak and it was, i assume, OK before, but it sounds like you may have air in the fuel system. Not sure if Mercedes self bleed or if you need to do it manually. My previous Citroen had a hand operated pump near the filter to pump fuel through when the filter was changed or the fuel system was worked on.

I heard it was self bleed on the OM642. I can hear a continuous clicking noise around the turbo actuator area when the ignition is on before switching the engine on. I started her up and let it idle for a bit but it still vibrated really bad and wouldn't rev. The vibration is coming from the cylinders on the left side of the engine when facing the car. After a minute or two whitish smoke started coming out of the exhaust, I rescanned the car and now have error code 2513 which most are saying is the inlet port shut off motor - am I that unlucky that a completely unrelated problem has developed?

Sounds like you are as lucky as I am when something goes wrong. 1 step forward and 2 steps back!! :wallbash:
if its one bank of cylinders not working then perhaps you disturbed an electrical connection when doing the pump?? Sorry i can't help any more than that. I'm fairly new to Mercedes myself and not that clued up on them. Hopefully someone else will come along with other ideas :thumb:

Just been doing some more reading and found a PDF which says when installing the high pressure fuel pump, position piston of cylinder 1 on crankshaft to ignition TDC. Maybe OM642 does need the fuel pump timed correctly :wallbash: I think my timing is wrong and the white smoke is unburnt fuel!
If anyone can confirm whether this pump is continuous or need to be timed correctly - if so, any advice on doing so? Thank you!!

Right...I had a quick look this morning.
I found the crankshaft sprocket with the TDC indent at 12oclock. However, I can’t see where the indent is on the pulley to know how far to rotate. I see an arrow with the number 2 on the pulley as shown- is this what should face up?

Attachments

• CBBF61CF-AD3C-44A0-B5C8-0D8178A1F258.jpeg
    CBBF61CF-AD3C-44A0-B5C8-0D8178A1F258.jpeg
    376.4 KB · Views: 7
  • C295D352-877D-47D0-ADCB-4BAC43519246.jpeg
    C295D352-877D-47D0-ADCB-4BAC43519246.jpeg
    653 KB · Views: 7
Aha, I found this picture. I guess this is what I should be aiming to see. Quick question if anyone knows - if I line this up will I definitely be at TDC or could I be 180 degrees out?

Attachments

• 77F4D5F4-6543-4867-BBF2-88EECB4633F5.jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 6
AFAIK thats correct, TDC shown by virbation damper and timing case cover. At same time there are dot marks behind camshaft sprockets, which whould be aligned each others. However I cant see how you could have messed up your timing, most likely you have problem with bad or leaky injector now. As above check all injector connector pins.

Either I can understand why engine should be at TDC, because there is no timing feature in commonn raiil pump. SO I searched WIS and in documents AR07.02-P-1020TQ and AR07.02-P-1021TQ. First documents do say "drive pinion gear must be modified when replacing high pressure pump" but referring second document just explains how to change that gear. It is possible you have problem with hp-pump because loosen block may have given some extra play on moving parts and they have worn, but I doubt that would cause the problems you are facing now.

Since you have got swirl motor fault code, there might be something wrong in your intake/boost system. Check no visible splits or leaks anywhere, EGR clean and functioning/plugged properly (though they shold throw a code too). On the other hand white smoke points to over fueling --> back to the injectors...

Too bad its hard to investigate these cars without SDS.

Similar problem but with difference. Car starts ok but would not rev beyond 1500....left to warm up andthen running ok. Garage could only look at the problem once a day,when cold, as perfectly fine once warmed. After 4 weeks at the garage a faulty wire found...computer can identify. Hope you get solved faster than mine?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom