W221 S320 Suspension Arms / Ball Joints

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyg0141

Car
S320 CDI (W221)
Evening All,

I have been having a creaking noise from the front of my S Class for a while now and eventually got round to looking at it tonight. It appears it is the lower ball joint which is the culprit (have saw this is a common problem).

I cant seem to find a DIY for it - does anyone know if there is one available? It looks simple enough only confusing bit being I am not sure on the interface between the strut and the arm itself?!

Also, is it worth only replacing the 1 that is knackered or both? To use Febi parts or genuine Mercedes ones?

I also noticed one of the other suspension arms (next one up from the lowest) the bush has come away from the arm so that needs replaced too. Thankfully it looks easy enough to do.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Andy

I have just this weekend gone done the lower ball joints, tension arm (that holds the other ball joint) and track rod ends on my w210 s class and for an amateur is very doable, don't know the newer s class but can't be much different.

You need a scissor type ball joint remover and mercedes ball joint removal tool which I got on eBay for £45

Jack up the car and put on axel stands, undo

I found it easier to split the top and bottom ball joints and unbolt the calliper to remove the hub carrier away from the car for easier access to the ball joint

Chris

Hi,

Thanks for the reply Chris. I am not sure if you can replace the ball joint on its own on the W221. Will call Mercedes and see if they sell them individually or just as part of the arm.

Thanks meantime.

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom