W221 S320CDI EGR error, smoke and no power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tomba

Car
W221 320cdi
Dear members,

I am Tomba and new here. I need someone opinion about a car that is in our workshop which we can not solve the problem from.

I is a S class from 2006/04 with 260.000km/163.000 miles.

Histroy:
- Owner bought the car and let it inspected by a MB dealership, MAF housing and some other bits were the main things that need to be replaced. MAFs replaced and the owner let the car have a service for engine and gearbox (engine oil + filter, air filters, gearbox filter and oil).
- Customer let his car to be chiptuned and decides after a few weeks to test top speed. The car doesn't go faster than 200km/h (125mph) and gets into limp mode. Turns off the car and proceeds driving without problems.
- After a few weeks he tries the same, same error but the error seems to come up more often.
- Other workshop replaces the electric EGR valve due to EGR related error codes. No succes. Intake manifold gets replaced with the swirl flaps inside. Again no succes.
- Then the car come to our shop with the following error description:

Once you try to accelerate the car feels terrible slow and it seems to interrupt the power for short terms and some black clouds of smoke come from the exhaust. Read out error codes with Autocom:

- 2598 - EGR position left, wrong signal, intermit.
- 2385 - EGR valve regulation, to much air, intermit.
- 2696 - Left exhaust pressure sensor, pressure to high, permanent

- 2592 - Position sensor turbo actuator, wrong signal, permanent

It seems that the EGR flow is to low (air mass measured from MAFs to high).

Turbocharger variable mechanism sticks in open position. With a little hand help you can get it down and no error appears.

During live data the left and right bank pressure sensors give the same values. > ~1040hPa on ignition on, engine off and ~2000hPa with idle running engine (variable mechanism of the T/C in closed position).

When I rev the engine at standstill car I can hear a typical sound near ~1600rpm which I can not locate. Also around 2000-2500rpm the turbo sound is like boosting/not boosting/boosting/not boosting. When I push the accelerator pedal more down around 3000rpm it gets worse and when I flat the accelerator pedal it starts to give the typcical diesel knock and lots of smoke. When releasing the accelerator pedal is sounds like the T/C is in surge and the engine starts to stall or run rough for a few seconds and then idles perfectly.

Checked the following things:
- EGR channels towards and from the EGR valve> they might be clogged and not allowing enough flow. All good.
- Pressurised the entrace of the turbo and top off the intercouler outlet hose to check for air leaks (a leak might cause high MAF readings). Not 100% certain since I could not pop off the hose correctly but there seem to be no leaks >removed the lower panels to het access to the intercooler and pipes for better looking.
- Checked the shut off valve in front of the intake manifold. With a removed intercooler outlet hose I can see that the valve is closing. This must be (I think) due to the lack of EGR flow. When closing the valve which is placed before the EGR pipe entrace you get more flow from the EGR. Even disconnected the electric plug. Doesn't make any difference.
- Measured injector returnflow to see if a faulty injector could be the problem. Bank 1 or right (drivers side in UK) seems ok, left bank seems plausible. injector (middle) seems to stop leaking (no injection) before others do. Pictures attached. This is from idle to slowly 3000rpm and full throttle.

- Finally loaded in the original software to exclude the chiptuning could be the cause. No difference.

I am out since most thinks are already replaced (by another workshop). Do any of you have a clue what is going on?
I appriciate your help!

Best regards,
Tomba

Attachments

• Bank1_2.JPG
    Bank1_2.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Bank2_2.JPG
    Bank2_2.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 13
Hi and welcome to the forum

Where are you based

Acid

Remark:
- Other shop drove without exhaust to eliminate exhaust back pressure problems. No succes
- Removed air filters, no succes.

It seems that the T/C is closing its variable mexhanism all the way. Most likely due to not getting the correct boost pressure but I am not 100% sure the boost control is active during the engine speeds and loads.

Remove and disassemble the turbo and clean the VNT, reassemble and check operation is faultless with the actuator removed.

Use MB Star to test actuator movement calibration on refitting.

Hi and welcome to the forum

Where are you based

Acid

I'm guessing Italy :)

Last edited:
When I had manifolds,swirl motor,egr replaced we also found heat exchanger leaking (literally had bubbles on it from heat) .Mine was like a puff a train,limp mode too
That may give you low pressure on egr
If they undertaken manifold job, all should be replaced anyways.Whole thing is apart,saves trouble in the future as oil cooler seals,etc
On the top later I had turbo with actuator changed too
We opened pandoras box with my mechanic
These engine when not taken care of properly will cause problems
Mine now is fine but costed a small fortune to put right

Actually I just remembered turbo actuator fault gave me fault with egr pressure,o2 sensor - car was going nuts

Hi all. Thanks for your replies so far!
I am located in the Netherlands, tomba is my nick name.

Those are good arguments (egr cooler and t/c inspection). I didn't have much time so the owner got the car to somebody else now. On his way to him the t/c got damaged and a replacement will be fit currently. I will remark them to check the egr cooler if it is accessible. Guy on the Dutch forum told me to look after the exhaust manifold. According to him they can crack and small or big pieces can end up in the turbo and egr cooler. Don't know how your experience is with this?

I will update once the t/c is put back on!

Thanks for your kind help so far.
Tomba

Turbocharger is replaced and the car runs good until 200km/h. Then it goes into limp mode with the following error codes:

- 3085 - Temperaturesensor after turbocharger left, permanent
- 3091 - Temperaturesensor after turbocharger left, permanent

2 different codes with the same description.

A lot better than before but with new error codes. Maybe some particles hit the T/C variable vanes mechanism and ended up damaging the temperature sensor?

Hi

New to the forum and have read several EGR threads and I think mine needs a clear out. Before I start can anyone advise the exact location on a CLK 270 CDI?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom