w221 S500 Good Old Airmatic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercedes-Benz

Car
S500
Hello all,

I've had a few Mercs in my past but I make a welcome return to the 3 pointed star from the blue and white aero roundels.

I've got myself a rather lovely, fully loaded S500 from 2006! The engine, gearbox are solid, as well as all the electrics, however the suspension seems a bit worse for wear :(

I've already replaced both the front lower control arms, but still there is a horrible squeeshy creeaky noise when going over bumps or dips in the road (Anti roll bar bushes?)

Also, over night, the rear will completely drop whereupon the arch covers the wheel. Sometimes it's just the passenger rear, sometimes it's both sides. Sometimes it's more on the left that the right. Upon starting the car, it'll quickly pump back up (within 6 seconds) however the ride isn't as great and I think is deteriorating. No warning lights as of yet.

Mercedes-Benz of Tamworth, MB Stratford-Upon-Avon and even MB of Aylesbury have all said star isn't reporting anything and that the compressor and valve block seem fine.

So.... do I get both struts replaced? and if so, can you recommend a good dealer/indie? Also what's with this Arnotts??

Lastly, what other suspension parts will likely need replacing now to make the car feel tight again (currently on 66k miles)

Forgot to mention that I'm needing to replace both rear callipers as it's very very creaky when I go to break, sounds like an old wreck.

Other than that, fantastic car.

Thanks so much in advance and it's good to be back :)

Where are you ? I take my S+CL to PCS Forum Trader in Horndean down the A3. Highly recommended.

They recently changed a front strut on the S-Class and used a independent company as MB England did not have any in stock and Germany was on back order !!!!

Two year + unlimited mileage warranty.

Hello all,

I've had a few Mercs in my past but I make a welcome return to the 3 pointed star from the blue and white aero roundels.

I've got myself a rather lovely, fully loaded S500 from 2006! The engine, gearbox are solid, as well as all the electrics, however the suspension seems a bit worse for wear :(

I've already replaced both the front lower control arms, but still there is a horrible squeeshy creeaky noise when going over bumps or dips in the road (Anti roll bar bushes?)

Also, over night, the rear will completely drop whereupon the arch covers the wheel. Sometimes it's just the passenger rear, sometimes it's both sides. Sometimes it's more on the left that the right. Upon starting the car, it'll quickly pump back up (within 6 seconds) however the ride isn't as great and I think is deteriorating. No warning lights as of yet.

Mercedes-Benz of Tamworth, MB Stratford-Upon-Avon and even MB of Aylesbury have all said star isn't reporting anything and that the compressor and valve block seem fine.

So.... do I get both struts replaced? and if so, can you recommend a good dealer/indie? Also what's with this Arnotts??

Lastly, what other suspension parts will likely need replacing now to make the car feel tight again (currently on 66k miles)

Forgot to mention that I'm needing to replace both rear callipers as it's very very creaky when I go to break, sounds like an old wreck.

Other than that, fantastic car.

Thanks so much in advance and it's good to be back :)
This sounds like the car I used to own, its not cream interior, black in colour and plate ME53DZB

This sounds like the car I used to own, its not cream interior, black in colour and plate ME53DZB

That would be a W220 I would have thought - unless a private plate?

Just went through this. The creaky suspension is the front ARB bushes. They need gluing with some Devcon.

Thanks for the replies guys.

No, it's not the car you mention. It's a Cubanite silver with light cream interior and all the toys!

I'very just changed the anti roll bar bushes and problem fixed, though the rear now needs doing as it's sounding the same there.

The car is going to Mb Tamworth to get the 2 rear struts replaced. They want to just check it's not the valve block or even a calibration issue, first.

Was really contemplating whether to just get rid but I've decided to stick with.

So: as well as the struts, I'm getting front pads and discs as they seem warped! Also investigating what other suspension parts can be replaced

I used Febi arms. Cheaper than the dealer.

If you do the upper control arm, the height level sensor bracket must go back into the hole otherwise it messes everything up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom