w221 soft closure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frier

Car
mercedes 320 s class 2008
help can I retrofit soft closure locks on standard doors

No doubt Richard is right,but the strange thing is there seems to be nowhere that you can look up all the parts needed for retro soft close doors or heated seats on the w221 s320 who knows maybe if we knew what was needed we might be able to pick up some second hand parts so that when we go to somebody like Command or some other company capable of retro fitting these things it would not come out to telephone numbers,to Frier it is the cross we have to bear for owning the S that is minus what we think is needed.

thanks Richard ill fit used parts do I need wiring loom

zippdip I agree frier

thanks Richard ill fit used parts do I need wiring loom

Ive had a quick look at EPC (I've only looked at front door), and actually its quite easy in terms of parts for the doors - everything seems to be shown. Its just door lock and a little cover. Remember cars with Keyless Go have a different door lock, so if you have KG you need to find a donor with KG and Soft Close, and get the small covering part too.

The wiring will not be there. You can buy new door harness for that section, or you can get the connectors and make the loom. Its best done with the proper crimp tool though. If I was retrofitting, i'd make the loom up as I was doing the job.

Cheers

Richard

No doubt Richard is right,but the strange thing is there seems to be nowhere that you can look up all the parts needed for retro soft close doors or heated seats on the w221 s320 who knows maybe if we knew what was needed we might be able to pick up some second hand parts so that when we go to somebody like Command or some other company capable of retro fitting these things it would not come out to telephone numbers,to Frier it is the cross we have to bear for owning the S that is minus what we think is needed.

Its not a mercedes official retrofit, so you have to work it out for your car (and in fact even with official retrofits most of the time they don't list parts for RHD cars. When wiring is involved you have to understand the wiring diagrams to understand which looms connect to what to know you have all the necessary looms worked out.

Given that (on a S class) there are 8 different locks (plus some superseded parts) depending on the options in the car, LHD vs RHD, and what you are fitting yes it is a non trivial task.

It is the knowledge to find the parts and understand the wiring diagrams (and to know what from other models fits) that you are paying for when you go to a retrofitter - and thats why no-one tends to give out parts lists (both because it takes ages to work them out, and because it changes depending on whats on the car).

The other thing of course, is its a £80k-£100k car (or more) new and the parts don't get cheaper just because the car is now worth £40k or £20k - the costs of a new nav drive in a E class is £3k for instance :-( - so I fully understand why you'd want to try and reduce the cost with used parts. Which is why we (comand.co.uk) do tend to be more helpful here - but its a difficult balance..

Cheers

Richard

i think its a crazy idea, you would be far better off selling what you have and buying a car with soft close doors standard.

Well I can understand,why you think it crazy,even I think soft close doors are way down on a list of things to have on a S Mercedes,but also nice as the people are who retro fit things on cars,they are presiding over a business plan that produces less as the years go past,you can pick up a decent W221 S320 now for £10,000,and so a £2,000 retro fit of heated seats is never going to happen,so their knowledge is just that knowledge, of course if you have a E that is worth £40,000 and the command goes bang then you need to spend the money,but on older cars it comes down to cost, in my case what does heated seats cost and what knowledge is needed to fit them,well the ability of removing the seats taking off the covers and putting in the heated matrix,reassembling seats,removal of door cards and fitting the door controls that work the memory and the heated seat option,I have those second hand,of course there is wiring and fuses needed and power is readily available at either end of the dash,if that is where it is taken from and of course the delve into the command by the star to tell it that heated seats have been fitted,is there anything else heated seats are fairly basic things ,at this point of time I cannot justify spending that sort of money,and so in my case they have knowledge but none of my cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom