w221 wind noise, sealing issue, anyone got access to TSBs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DriftworksJames

Car
2008 S500 w221
Hi all,
I have a small but incessant wind noise in my 2008 s class when driving over about 65mph. It comes from the top rear corner of the drivers door, right next to my ear and sounds like a high pressure hissing. It really spoils what is otherwise a very serene motorway cruising experience and I'm keen to resolve it.
I've inspected the door seals, realigned them a little and ensured there's no gaps or faults but to no avail. An online search shows several others reporting the same problem.

I note that there was an official TSB which seems to cover this and points to sealing of the door mirror

P-B-88.70/64a SEPT08 221.171/176/179 up to VIN A138372/A236284/A249754 wind noise in the interior from front door is resolved by sufficiently sealing the outside rear view mirrors.

But I can't find any specifics as to what needs sealing and where.

Is anyone aware of the details of the fix or who could help me get access to the details of the official TSB so I can see what needs to be done please? That way I won't need to pay hundreds of pounds for someone to undo a couple of screws and dab a blob of silicon somewhere..

thanks,
James

Wind noise is hard to resolve at the very best. It will most likely be coming from the leading edge of the drivers door,but manifesting itself at the trailing edge,which just happens to be close to your right ear. Door mirror or door seal on the leading edge I would think.

I had the same problem on a CLK 209, i took it to my local indy who could not find it and advised me to take it to a bodyshop which they would take the door off and re-fit it, then it would be trial and error to make it quiet, i realised this could cost a fortune at the bodyshop just taking it off and putting it back on, so decided against it. So i sold the car, problem sorted.

Thanks guys. I'm sure I can work it out one way or another without needing to sell it. I have a friend who used to chase faults like this for jaguar and it's a case of trial and error with a lot of it.

Sticky tape is going to be my best bet I reckon. I already checked if it was the gap at the bottom of the mirror thusly
3f43185e95650e817593fe5531a75901.jpg

But it made little difference...

Now you mentioned it, it looks to me like the leading edge of the door seal sits a little proud on the front edge and sticks out into the wind rather than sitting flush.
28df0a3cc3119303190caa2dacd2127b.jpg
191d54f1d3f582ca06fe9f79358ffd4f.jpg
9c432d83a9df6ad738071a68fbdecd49.jpg

There's also a small gap at the front here where wing meets a pillar
b47d4991c364917f85cc8fd11125c90b.jpg

So I'll tape those up and climb over and see if my next journey is any quieter.
If I need to rehang the door to solve it properly it's no major problem for me.

Cheers,
James

Very interested to see how you get on as I also have wind noise on my 2009 e350 coupe. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

well, that didn't fix it.
Going to try taping all round the edges of the drivers window for the return journey later

- Wind noises from top of windshield -

Topic number​
GI67.10-P-036343
Version​
Design group​
67.10 Windshield
Date​
10-05-2005
Validity​
Model series 221
Reason for change​

Complaint Wind noises from top of windshield as of approx. 180 km/h.

Cause Shore hardness and geometry of upper sealing lip on windshield are not within specified dimensions. This causes the sealing lip to sink at high speeds and diverge from the roof edge.

Vehicles up to approx. VIN 006844 are affected

Remedy Lift sealing lip and apply sealant (window sealant) between sealing lip and body along the entire length, part number A 001 989 31 20.

Note:
Use hand pressure gun, a battery-powered gun is not suitable for this work.
Dab off excess sealant using adhesive tape.

Symptoms
Symptom
Body / Body/Cab / Body noises / Wind noises
Parts
Part number
ES1
ES2
Designation
Quantity
Note
EPC
A 0019893120 Sealing compound 1 X
Operation numbers/damage codes
Op. no.
Operation text
Time
Damage code
Note

- Wind noises from top of rear window -

Topic number​
GI67.20-P-036388
Version​
Design group​
67.20 Rear window
Date​
10-04-2005
Validity​
Model series 221
Reason for change​

Complaint Wind noises from top of rear window as of approx. 180 km/h.

Cause Shore hardness and geometry of upper sealing lip are not within specified dimensions. As a result, the sealing lip lifts up in the vicinity of the upper corners causing wind noises.

Vehicles up to approx. VIN 001449 are affected

Remedy Lift upper sealing lip and apply sealing compound (window sealant), part number A 001 989 31 20, between sealing lip and body along a length of approx. 80 mm measured from the left and right corners.

Note:
Use hand pressure gun, a battery-powered gun is not suitable for this work.
Dab off excess sealant using adhesive tape.

Symptoms
Symptom
Body / Body/Cab / Body noises / Wind noises

Parts
Part number
ES1
ES2
Designation
Quantity
Note
EPC
A 0019893120 Sealing compound 1 X

Operation numbers/damage codes
Op. no.
Operation text
Time
Damage code
Note

I get wind noise in my W221 when I am on the motorway but only after stopping for a full english at the services.

Tell Autotrader to hold on... I have progress!

I tried 2 things today: I temporarily taped between the top and rear edges of the drivers window to the seal around it so there was no gap.

I also had a call today with a very helpful mercedes technician who had no joy looking up the service bulletin code I had (seems it's maybe USA only) but was aware of what sounds like the same official fix for complaints of noisy doors and was kind enough to share the basic details.

So the small plastic trim that holds the tweeter in the door just pulls off with no special tools needed (opening the window all the way made this easier)
1dcc890fc98b64caaf1964a59ba34cf6.jpg

Behind that was an adhesive backed foam trim
1d2c58d9b3700f2fcb1e4de361274a18.jpg

Then behind that you have the 3 screws that hold the mirror on, a small hole with a locating peg in and a larger hole which I guess is big enough to pass a wiring connector for the mirror through
b56b4aeb39cee62e6c082dca2fc10995.jpg

f32f2ccbf3ef64090ff648fa027be39e.jpg

So it seems the official fix is to fill the purple holes with a load of silicon sealant.
Like this, but neater.... (pic is before I smoothed it into place)
bb21ca17136867229b780ac00d7211b3.jpg

Then refit as before.
Took me 5 mins to do each side.

The result of both of these tweaks? Big improvement both in the buffeting wind noise at cruising speeds and in general noise from outside getting in. A much more serene driving experience all round :) I took the tape off the window seal mid journey so I could ascertain what was doing what and the wind noise returned at speed.

So in my car (which has double glazing in the side doors) sealing up the mirror holes made it feel like I had just upgraded to a proper double glazing experience. Less noise from passing traffic and the outside world in general at low speeds. Not bad for 10 minutes and less than a quid :)

And it seems the motorway wind noise is probably coming between the top edge of the window and it's seal. I guess either the seal is squashed inside with age or the window regulator isn't holding the glass as far up as it could be. I'm going to try placing some draft sealing strip up inside the seal gap tomorrow and see how that works out as a semi temporary measure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom