Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be a hit anyway
S class always will be daddy of all,you want to see what other cars will have in 10 years,S class is an answer

You know what.. had you said the same thing when the 221 came out, id be 100% with you on that.. things have changed, and yes some new tricks will be out, but i think the large steps forward are diminished with the new e class facelift and also the fact that now there is quite alot of overlap between the classes.

Xao4izOEH0k.jpg

ge4731744056290377052-jpg.15211

ge5589093045598648373.jpg

2014SClassInterior2-1.jpg

2014SClassInterior1-1.jpg

2014SClassInterior3-1.jpg

2014SClassInterior4-1.jpg

2014SClassInterior5-1.jpg

The interior looks extremely bad to the eye.. the lines do not flow at all.... seriously, the door cards lack so so much..

opinions pleasee

Last edited:
It looks good.

Honestly Boss, what would be right in your book? - you dislike ALL new Mercs ;)

Last edited:
I see the 2nd screen has Sat Nav aswell as heater control display. also, check out theres a 360 view button - must appear on the 2nd screen also.

that grille is MASSIVE

quite like the dash tho

Ergonomics look a bit squiffy though. The parktronic button is badly sited down and to the side of the wheel. And the rear blind and headrest buttons look like they are up between the 2 mahoosive TV screens. Personally I think the car is a mess and MB have lost their way with it. Almost like it was so good a few generations ago they had nowhere to take it.

I would like to see them stop trying to be clever with all the tech and TV screens and just make a modern, properly built version of the 126 / 140. There is too much going on inside the new one to be properly luxurious. They should adopt the Rolls Royce philosiphy of hiding away the gadgets and having as few buttons on display as possible.

the gauges on the screens at least look like gauges, so that's a plus.

and it also looks the S class will have the star on the bonnet.

It looks good.

Honestly Boss, what would be right in your book? - you dislike ALL new Mercs ;)

honestly, i dont know...

but certain things do come to mind.

with the various premium classes that have launched, new sl, new slk for example, alignment is an issue.

The centre vents and sat nav screen being offset from the main console in my books, is an unacceptable design flaw, for sure a premium car, cost cutting or what ever is just not good enough.

BMW and Audi off centre dash designs work, as its curved to the driver, and looks a design feature.. and quite good.

INTENTION ON R231
mercedesbenzslclass2013p.jpg

ACTUAL
10479-web.jpg

this is just an example of car design and car engineering not hand in hand..

The flow is gone, and the class and charisma is seriously diminished...

The interior of the Jag XJ is very thoughtful, flowing and a design treat. the S class interior looks strange and not easy to the eye..

same with most of the models.

The best interior to date is the sls

and this works very very well..

I think mercedes designers lack the expertise of yesteryear.. thats my opinion, which is why the current generation have got some build quality back and lost the design cues, and in 10 years ago had no build quality, and some design, and 20-30 years ago had good design and good build quality..

ok i mean i am prob gonna get some bad feedback on this.. but how i this interior appealing??

2013_mercedes_benz_c_class_dashboard.jpg

compared to BMW;s//?

2013-BMW-3-Series-Touring-Unveiled-Cockpit-Dashboard-View.jpg

seriously..

I was talking to some one yesterday on the phone... and its amazing how we think Mercedes have tarnished their image..

Premium buyers want a premium car.

Mercedes used to be priced accordingly and their target market had the budget to afford the badge.

today with the influx of A classes and B classes and every other letter under the stars, the brand identity crosses such a wide spectrum, that they actually are nothing MORE.. than an alternate option to BMW, Audi, VW, Skoda etc.. in terms of it is for mass market driving.

The point of the phone call, is that buyers of the top end are not the same as before, and the value of Marque has been dissolved.. so much so, that Far Eastern Buyers arent getting keen on Mercedes, as the name is reputable as for all markets. BMW got it right with the MIni and the BMW.. as a generation succession as you develop in age, wealth and ambition and aspire to a bmw and move up the ranks..

Again, Audi have does amazingly well

But Mercedes has flooded the fleet market, and what does the star stand for? even i dont know any more..

Ontop.. we discussed the impact of trucks with the mercedes badge.. and how this now influences buyers decisions and were the marque is going..

As an expensive alternate to the other Germand Brands, Mercedes is very good.. but i think my previous conception of what the badge means or had meant has swiftly been flushed down the toilet..

the current leadership and design philosophy, in my eyes anyway, has had great results for Mercedes Bottom line, but little else for the rest of us..

I think, personally they need to have a long hard look at them selves and take a 180 degree turn and walk out of the door, and bring back some concrete design, that is not just a trend setter for 3 years.. and then age so so fast, but start with purpose, function, and then create a form around it, less random shapes, and more timeless elegance, with some sparkle..

BMW and Jaguar and Bentley do it soooo well.. Mercedes being a a car for all people is just killing the brand.. and more so, as they price them selves significantly above others.. with little justification to be so expensive.. expecially in the mainstream models..

One lesson in marketing is to pick a market, develop it and product focus it.. then from that, build vertically and horizontally to the same core values..

Mercedes have developed in all directions for sure.. but they have forgotten alot about what they stand for

only In My Opinion ofcourse!

Interesting post, but I would have to disagree with some parts ;) . Audis are completely indistinguishable, this is the main problem with the A8 - looking at one in your rear view mirror makes it look indentical to a A3. yes they are well made but dull, lacking in any design flare, no risks are taken at all. play it safe all the way.

Regarding the dashboards, are you forgetting the W140s? look at it, it looks like its from two different cars!

d33589bb118c.jpg

And also regarding exteriors, what on earth happened with the W201s grill. the 190 was a modern (for the time) looking car with a vintage grill on the front. - didnt stop it becoming a 'classic' now did it? :D

Last edited:
99% sure I just saw one of these driving East along Trafalgar Road in Greenwich - German plates, masking round the headlights, front bumper and bonnet emblem. Didn't get enough of a look to go beyond identifying what it was - when I saw it in the distance coming the other way with the large grille, I wondered whether it might be a Maybach or something.

Not sure my reason for posting this :dk:, I was inexplicably slightly excited - reminds me of that other highlight of my life when I didn't quite see Lady Ga Ga coming out of the Wolseley...

99% sure I just saw one of these driving East along Trafalgar Road in Greenwich - German plates, masking round the headlights, front bumper and bonnet emblem. Didn't get enough of a look to go beyond identifying what it was - when I saw it in the distance coming the other way with the large grille, I wondered whether it might be a Maybach or something.

Not sure my reason for posting this :dk:, I was inexplicably slightly excited - reminds me of that other highlight of my life when I didn't quite see Lady Ga Ga coming out of the Wolseley...

Always good to see a prototype car - if its a Merc take some shots :D

Whenever I goto my folks who live in the Cottswolds I can guarentee I will pass an Jaguar LandRover in cladding, ive also seen a 'new' Fiesta on the M11 back in Dec :D

With the 140 dash, i did discuss your very point previously.

Because the top half is such a strong accent offcentre, it does not look misplaced or misfitted.

it looks as if it was part of the design instruction and has confidence and purpose. but 5cm offcentre here or there simply looks a misfit..

Interesting post, but I would have to disagree with some parts ;) . Audis are completely indistinguishable, this is the main problem with the A8 - looking at one in your rear view mirror makes it look indentical to a A3. yes they are well made but dull, lacking in any design flare, no risks are taken at all. play it safe all the way.

Regarding the dashboards, are you forgetting the W140s? look at it, it looks like its from two different cars!

d33589bb118c.jpg

And also regarding exteriors, what on earth happened with the W201s grill. the 190 was a modern (for the time) looking car with a vintage grill on the front. - didnt stop it becoming a 'classic' now did it? :D

the 190 was a modern (for the time) looking car with a vintage grill on the front. - didnt stop it becoming a 'classic' now did it? :D

the 190e had a confident if rather bland body, but it was a heavy little baby and was significantly above the 3 series of the time.

i agree, the audi exteriors are extremely bland and poor..

the interior of our S5 is incredible.. honestly is!

Audi and BMW both outsell Mercedes in the UK ..

I'm not surprised by the exterior and think it's a natural evolution of the 221. However, the interior is in my opinion, a mess. It's also trying to absorb the death of Maybach by introducing some Bentley-esque design cues. Sadly, it's also thrown into the blender with the contents of a Samsung skip. The screens are clumsy. As with many Mercedes, the facelift version of this car will be the one to own.

The materials in that S class look ace. The wood, air vents look a real cut above the W221. Steering wheel looks ace.

Can't wait to see one im the flesh. Exterior renderings look good

Not a fan of lop sided dash boards like the 140 and the 231. Hate them. I Like the facelifted 204s and that sort of archietecture

Last edited:
That's a bit fussy for an S-Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom