W222 S-Class LWB Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

i_york

Car
Volvo V40 2.0T Sport / AK Cobra 427
I'm looking to purchase a 2014-2015 S350 CDi for my own, private, use. Ideally, I'd prefer SWB since I'll very rarely be carrying back seat passengers and the S-Class is already a large car for parking at the supermarket, etc. However, it seems 90%+ of examples are LWB.

Does anyone have experience of owning a LWB S-Class? I'd be interested to hear if there are issues parking in typical car parks, multi-storeys,etc.

I'm also trying to figure-out standard spec, but this seems to have evolved over the various model years. Does anyone have a PDF for the 2014 European model brochure? This would, presumably, itemise the standard spec as well as the options.

Thanks.

If you don’t need back seats too much, you might consider a CL?

I'm looking to purchase a 2014-2015 S350 CDi for my own, private, use. Ideally, I'd prefer SWB since I'll very rarely be carrying back seat passengers and the S-Class is already a large car for parking at the supermarket, etc. However, it seems 90%+ of examples are LWB.

Does anyone have experience of owning a LWB S-Class? I'd be interested to hear if there are issues parking in typical car parks, multi-storeys,etc.

I'm also trying to figure-out standard spec, but this seems to have evolved over the various model years. Does anyone have a PDF for the 2014 European model brochure? This would, presumably, itemise the standard spec as well as the options.

Thanks.

@i_york I drive and park in Central London every day, and there are long wheelbase saloons like the S class, and 7 series being driven everywhere, including in challenging multi storey car parks. With parking sensors and 360 cameras, driving a LWB luxury car in city centres is much easier than it used to be.

As you can see from my tag, I live in SW London and I've owned the LWB S500 in W221 and W220 form, as well as the E500 and a couple of SL's.

Like many men, I sometimes get a grinding noise from the left hand side of the car as SWMBO whinges about the length of the car, but I can say without a shadow of a doubt that not only do I find it easy to park, but also SHE found it easier to park when she's driving than my current 535d touring.

Why: fabulous parking aids, in the form of beeps and visuals / general all round visibility.

The only caveat I would put on this is that I don't live in a Fulham-style tight residents parking zone. If you're constantly fighting to pop it into a flexible space which was previously occupied by a Fiat 500, you will have difficulties.

Personally I don't have problems parking it in multi-storey shopping car parks, at LHR, or similar.

The only time I had a genuine problem with parking the car was when I attempted to park it in Central Paris late one Saturday night, and ended up in a 1950's style multiple storey car park which had obviously been designed for 2CV's and Renault 5's.

So generally, I haven't found the LWB S500 to be any more difficult to park than an E Class.

As a parting thought, there's a world of difference between privately owned S Class and those which have previously worked in the "Carriage trade." No disrespect intended to those that have worked before, but the privately owned cars have, usually, been really quite cosseted.

No issues with parking the LWB s classes I have owned and as mentioned above my wife also found them easier to use/park than other cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom