W223 S-Class Revealed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Good to see a clean design without too many feature lines. The grill is massive and seems disproportionate to my eyes

I like it. The styling will be something that we become accustomed to, as with anything new (particularly the Q7 and R8 that looked odd and now great to my eyes).

The tech in there is staggering to the point of bewilderment!

Fair points, but this is the real reason I buy the S Class (and the E500)

About 5 seconds of that guy's voice was too much , and I had to stop watching . Fortunately there has already been plenty of coverage on the net the past few days .

This one is quite comprehensive

About 5 seconds of that guy's voice was too much , and I had to stop watching . Fortunately there has already been plenty of coverage on the net the past few days .

Hes a member on here

White with red quilted leather. Who would choose that combination?

White with red quilted leather. Who would choose that combination?
A traditionalist : that historically was the traditional German colour combination ; white being the German racing colour ( French raced in blue , hence so many type 35 Bugattis are that colour ; Italy was Red , look at 1920’s racing Alfas and Fiats , including ones raced by Enzo Ferrari ; British Racing Green was the colour of so many Bentleys , Morgan’s and later Jaguars ) and if you look at so many prewar racing Mercedes ( typically W08 S , SS , SSK and SSKL models ) you will find they were white with red leather interiors ( usually upholstered with studs , giving a quilted appearance ) .

9867938C-0D9C-45F1-8839-78A5B2624F3D.jpeg

I read somewhere that red leather went back to WWI because it didn’t show bloodstains ; that , genuinely, is the same reasons that ambulances always used to be kitted out with red blankets !

The tech in there is staggering to the point of bewilderment!

Having watched a few videos on it now , I’m coming to the conclusion that , for my taste , the car is just a bit too ‘busy’ to the point of having too many lights and distractions going on around you : there is such a thing as ‘information overload’ - I sometimes experience it in busy city streets where there are far too many road signs ( lane closures , parking notices , bus lanes , direction signs , prohibitions , speed limits , traffic lights , crossings ) and all the while you have other traffic , cyclists , pedestrians to be aware of and look out for - what I do not want or need is a car that is going to double the information overload by flashing alerts left right and centre : the human brain is actually very good at interpreting and prioritising hazards , and filtering out the ones that are less relevant : I don’t want a car that distracts me by alerting me to something alongside when I am focussing on the child who looks ready to step off the footpath in front .

Also it has long been a principle of Mercedes interior design that controls all operate in distinctive different ways and can be located by touch , even those for minor accessories like seat heaters ... this new touchscreen is now going down the road of so many other cars : in order to locate a virtual button one has to take one’s eyes off the road - not something I want to see in any car I own .

Some of the innovations are nice , like the gesture for opening the sunroof , but I hope there is still a switch so I can open it just a bit if I want to . Also , who thought of having the roof open to the outside of the car ? !! That is just a recipe for getting the headlining dirty , and what does it do to the aerodynamics of the car having this big ‘thing’ on top of the roof ? I like my sunroof to disappear inside the rear half of the cassette , out of the slipstream , and my pop up wind deflector will have less of an effect on the aerodynamics than a whole panel on top of the roof ( the opening in the roof will have similar effect in either case , but why worsen it ? ) . Then there have been recent cases of glass panels coming off because of poor adhesive ( why is it glued on in the first place ? Flat headed bolts would be more secure ) but these events could not happen if the roof panel went inside when it opened .

Some very clever and advanced design in this car , but more than a few steps backward in amongst it .

Oh , and why oh why is the star halfway up the bonnet ? It belongs on the radiator shell ( even if it is only a fake one ) .

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. It’s way too complex for its target market in the U.K. But it won’t stop them buying it.
The average age is much lower in America,China and the Middle East where it will sell like hotcakes.
It will be amazing thing to be in.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. It’s way too complex for its target market in the U.K. But it won’t stop them buying it.
The average age is much lower in America,China and the Middle East where it will sell like hotcakes.
It will be amazing thing to be in.

It has probably reached the stage where a new owner needs to go through a ‘conversion’ process much as a pilot converting to a new aircraft type does .

As you say it will , here at least , perhaps elsewhere in Europe too , be bought largely by wealthy old farts who can afford it but are not particularly tech savvy .

Personally, View attachment 101855I prefer this interior
So did Konrad Adenauer ; it’s just sublime , but those footwell speakers aren’t standard !!! ; he had so many they named the model after him . I’ve ridden in one , and the only other ride that came close to the ‘magic carpet’ experience was a Daimler DS420 limo .

Heartbreaking to see them end up here

3180014E-86C3-47C0-897F-9E1812E2D3B6.jpeg
37B927F1-100C-44C6-9EDC-BFFEADEE6CA4.jpeg
3B2BA866-75A4-4CEB-97CC-7B7015BC307C.jpeg
2CBFCC2C-B72A-4211-AD10-691F0A928DE4.jpeg

Especially when others survive in everyday use in downtown Beirut ( amazing what Mercs one finds there )

773B5FFF-03F3-44DD-8501-AFB20C56B1E9.jpeg

I suppose we are fortunate the Rover P5B isn’t nicknamed the ‘Thatcher’ 😊 lovely cars that they are , especially the coupes .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom