W245 engine/gearbox locked up when engine quit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JimD73

Car
B-Class W245
Hi. My W245 B200 (CVT) engine shut down pulling out of a junction, (thankfully at low speed). It was my wife that was driving, she said it felt like someone stood on the brakes when the engine died. No noises or warning signs. Car (and gearbox) regularly serviced from new)
Immediately after the breakdown she tried to restart the car but the engine was very slow to turn over, like a nearly dead battery (checked battery, it is fine)
Breakdown service called out, same problem so I had the car recovered to a friend who lives close by. He turned the engine by hand, it was free, so he turned the key and the car started fine. It engaged drive in the normal manner and he drove it a few yards and everything seems fine but didn't want to go any further without deeper investigation.
The plan is to get a code reader tomorrow to see if it has thrown a fault.
So I've never had an engine cut out on a cvt gearbox car. Is this the way they react on a breakdown?
Has anyone came across this problem before?
Any help would be appreciated.

Update
Diagnostic computer showed no fault codes so we are none the wiser as to what went wrong.

Does anyone have any thoughts of what could have caused this?

The car starts perfectly. Engages drive normally and the car has been driven up and down a short slip road away from traffic and it hasn't happened again.

The problem is I am scared to drive the car. If it happens again on the open road, it is a danger to myself, my family and other road users.

A car doing an extreme emergency stop at speed is unthinkable.

None of the mechanics I've spoke to has come across a scenario like this so we don't know what to fix.

The car is old but it has only done 62,000 miles, full service history (Inc regular cvt servicing) I've owned it from new and it has been adapted for a disability so I don't want the hassle of a car change if its possible.

I'd really appreciate any help, advice or suggestions.

Cheers, Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom