W251 2006 mb r320 cdi 4-matic suspension probs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dotbug

Car
Mercedes Benz R320
Hi all, anyone help with a suspension problem ??
came out the other day to see the car leaning over to the right side rear, as if the air bag had gone.... Starting the car soon leveled it up, but now i notice the left side (front and rear) is around 1 1/2" higher than the right side, the car seems to drive normal, but when left overnight it goes down again...
mercedes say the air bags are fine and that it will need a new compressor (A251 320 2604) and control unit (A251 545 0316), does this sound right....
given the compressor is blowing up the suspension when started, and stays up whilst driving, wouldnt that indicate it was working ok OR am i missing something ??
anyone advise on this and where i might get the parts cheaper ??

Help please....

Where are you based? There are some very good independents on here who can probably help you confirm what the problem is and possibly even save you some money rectifying it.

So, since this happened i had to bite the bullet......
all work done by MB as i was told each new part needed STAR to reconfigure the new items into the cars ecu!!! car delivered back and has been stood for a week due to me been out of action..... misses used the car today 4th feb, and has returned to say it still has the same fault!!!! can you imagine my thoughts right now?

just paid massive bill, and same problem !!!

anyone got any sensible suggestions as to what is going on here??

Help please....

I would imagine you have a failed air spring on the corner the car is leaning on.
I have seen this two or three times on an R class

good thinking , but part of the invoice breakdown showed seperate cost for checking the system for leaks - no leaks found....

going back in on wednesday, so this will be continued..... with a posetive outcome hopefully..

where on the car is the "air spring"? all i can see on the rear corner its going down is an air bag, but it doesnt appear to be leaking...

I am having the same problem with my car I have a R350 and it is as dotbug said a failed air spring.

197292d1291155039t-airmatic-failed-r500flatshock.jpg

Airbag/ air spring just different terminology

thanks for the clarification chaps...., i feel sick now, the air bag was diagnosed at the early stages, but not by an official MB Garage... when the car dropped to its knees i rolled it into a local workshop(not wanting to damage it further), and one that i have known for years - sadly they do not have full blown star diagnostics so they were limited with what they could tell me however, having gone through some old school checks and eliminating certain areas they did infact conclude that the AIR BAG (air spring) would be at fault(90% sure), but without knowing if that could/should carry a fault code then he couldnt say 100%...... Hence, i rolled it into MB who quickly confirmed EVERYTHING had been checked and that the diagnosis 110% was the compressor and control unit...... you automatically assume the Mercedes guys are right, and thankful(at that time) that i didnt go swapping parts on the say so of an old school garage, how wrong was i !!!!
anyway, mercedes have been very good in the past, i think when a mistake has been made then they have the right people at "front of house" to sort these types of issues, and i am hoping that is the case this time having spent 1200 quid and still have the same fault..

MB collecting 6th Feb - will keep you updated, as i am sure this info will be helpfull to someone else, and hopefully save somone the hassle & expense...

out

Hi Dotbug, :doh: My R320 has developed exactly the same issue over weekend. I drove home on fidat night without any issue and on saturday morning, rear driver side was dropped on its knees. Will appreciate, if you can let us know, what was ultimately the issue (Airbag or Commpressor or Control unit ?) and how does you end up getting it fixed.

Sorry I am late into this but my 2006 320cdi had the same problem and under warrenty the whole system was replaced. Three years on - still the same problem but have learnt to live with it!
Mercedes tried to tell me it was suppossed to do this so that the car was level on uneven ground!

So, I know it's late to update this, but it's probably taken until now for me to come to terms with how the problem was dealt with....

Long story short, it was actually the air spring / air bag that had a small hole...
Mercedes very kindly charged me for new - compressor/control unit/new airlines front to rear/levelling valve, and then finally the air bag...:wallbash:

All cost charged to me at circa GBP 2200.00.

The whole diagnosis process was shocking, and all wrongly diagnosed at my expense..

Not impressed, hope you all get a better outcome than me..

2 years on from my original post, and the car has now covered 82000 miles and the passenger rear air bag has now developed some very small holes(at least three), and overnight the suspension goes down. Now i'm a little wiser to the problem i managed to check it myself - just wiped the airbag and diluted fairy liquid into a spray bottle(put it on fine spray), and hey presto a very small amout of bubbles appeared - just ordered aftermarket airbag from germany £119.00 which includes vat and freight. excellent compared to MB's £450.00... should get it monday / tuesday 27th Jan, so i will report back once installed... fingers crossed.

How easy was it to replace? My R320 has the same symptoms and I'm tempted to replace the airbag myself if it's easy enough. Worst case is I put a new airbag on and it doesn't fix it.

Got one of these air springs gone on my R Class. Looking to get the part for replacement, Price wise there are imports from china on ebay for £110 but I'm guessing these will be made of chocolate. Any ideas were to get a good replacement.
My airspring is going down overnight. In the morning I get a message on dash saying "wait a brief moment" as it pumps itself back up. I'm guessing its asking for trouble just to live with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom