W251 R320 Vibration at speed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteveASmith

Car
R 320 CDI
Thought I'd post up and share my findings, so hopefully someone may benefit.

When I bought the car in Feb this year, I noticed the the NSR brake was binding. Not a big deal I thought, I was informed it was not used as much as it maybe should be, so the rear brakes were a bit sticky.
But when driving it for a while there was a definite vibration through the car when at motorway speeds. Not through the steering wheel, through the whole car. You'd see the rear head rest vibrate, plus you'd feel it through the seat. Not so bad that you think I must stop, just an annoying one.
Oddly, it wasn't always present. So I was a bit confused as to what the actual cause.

First port of call was the brakes.
The rear was shot, so needed replaced. I thought I'd do the fronts whilst at it. Discs and pads.
It helped but the vibration was still there.

The tyres were the next suspect. I had them all rebalanced when the brakes were done, the garage then informed me that there was a flat spot on one of the tyres.
This we hoped was the culprit.

The tyres on the car were Pirelli and I knew they'd need replacing before winter, managed to get 8k out of them.
This week the car was dropped off and a set of Uniroyal rainsport 3 255-55-18 fitted.

It's now driving like it should be. Smooth as silk and no bloody vibration at 70mph.
Very happy bunny.

So, when checking the balance of wheels, ask the guys to lookout for any flat spots. Sometimes the wires can snap in the tyre, this will end up in deformation.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom