W638 - Traveliner - 9 seats? (Advice)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby_Rstevens

Car
Vito Bus
All,

Only had the "bus" now for a few weeks and I can see why you guys love you "stars" so much.... we love it!.. Done nearly 700 mile in it now and can't fault it!.

Question though. Ours is a 03 traveliner with 8 seats but we would like to make it a 9 seater and pref turn the seats around in the back to face each other? is this possible? At present it has a 3 bench rear and two bench middle (all single seats - standard kit by the looks of things).

I took out the middle 2 with the help of a lump hammer, jesus they are not easy to remove and not a one man job are they!.

Do to the locking mech for the seats I can't see how you can turn them around to face each other so would this mean selling the 5 seats and punting for some other type of rear setup? or can you kit two rows of 3 but not facing each other, lots for sale on Ebay etc but pref would be 3 x 3 facing each other but if not do I need a special 3 x bench...

This has prob been asked loads of times on here but it's hard when you can't search for "9" seater :)

L O V E the bus though, we all do...

Thanks in advance.

Rgs

Bobby

Hey, thanks

That was a quick reply and very useful.

Yes, see a few with taxi style pop down seats.

I think rails may be the only way I can do this which I don't mind as the bus is going nowhere :) just want to cover off others experience.

The only 9 seater Mk1 vito's I have seen have all been drop down seats like those, tend to be fairly uncomfortable I think though I am the driver :) some times the girls will be in the back for hours so just thinking of them.... did they make LWB mk1 vito as well? or is the traveliner longer anyway? never measured? just feels longer :)

:rock:

Rgs

Bobby

If you wanted the seats to face each other I think you'd have to go down the V-Class conversion route, I sold mine about a year ago and the bloke that bought it ripped out the back to convert into a surf bus thing.

There are places out there that will convert the 638 into a 9 seater, but I'd hazard a guess it'll not be cheap, especially because you're only gaining one more seat.

Can't you strap one to the roof?

Yeah..

I like the sound of the roof..... but ON the roof..... my youngest would love that!.

I had a look and I recon a rear bench would go in but forward facing and you'd have to slip through to the rear.

Thanks

Rgs

Bobby

To be perfectly honest, as long as you tell your insurers, anything is possible.

I know someone that managed to 'squeeze' three rows of three into the back of a 639 XLWB...

Yes

You're right.

with 8 the condensation is enough, can't imagine with even more....

Thanks

Rgs

Think you need to tell the DVLA if you increase the seating capacity, too?

Yes, sorry, I should have said if you inform both the DVLA & insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom