W639 Bilstein B4's, Sachs or Monroe shocks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil24/7

Car
Vito (W639)
Just bought some H&R springs to go on my 2006 Vito. I want to replace my shocks as there is a small posibility they are creating my knocking noise. I have replaced suspension arms and steering arms but there is still a knock. It is likely to be the top mount but could also be the shock. As they are such a pig to replace, I will just renew them when I am fitting the springs to be on the safe side.

My question is should I replace them with Monroe shocks at £78, Sachs shocks at £66 or Bilstein B4's at £84?

Genuine are coming in at £150 so I wont be getting them!

I am leaning towards either the Sachs (Price) or the Billys (reputation) but any recommendations would be gratefully received.

Regards
Phil

Just bought some H&R springs to go on my 2006 Vito. I want to replace my shocks as there is a small posibility they are creating my knocking noise. I have replaced suspension arms and steering arms but there is still a knock. It is likely to be the top mount but could also be the shock. As they are such a pig to replace, I will just renew them when I am fitting the springs to be on the safe side.

My question is should I replace them with Monroe shocks at £78, Sachs shocks at £66 or Bilstein B4's at £84?

Genuine are coming in at £150 so I wont be getting them!

I am leaning towards either the Sachs (Price) or the Billys (reputation) but any recommendations would be gratefully received.

Regards
Phil

Mercedes original is usually Sachs or sometimes Bilstein. I've never had anything but those on any of my Mercedes.

If you have fitted shorter springs, you should consider shorter dampers - mine has Bilstein B8s.

Sorry I can't comment in greater detail.

By the way, a Vito is a van isn't it? Maybe I'm talking tripe and you haven't fitted shorter springs. I don't know anything about vans except a 1969 Transit.

RayH

Ha ha, yeah the Vito is a van. I will be lowering shortly to improve the ride and the handling and will be replacing the shocks with it. Although the springs are loer, they are only 40mm lower and so it is fine to use standard (or standard spec) shocks, so long as they are in good condition. Shorter shocks cost a lot more than standard ones and are harder to get hold of for vans.

Regards
Phil

Fairly recently, zenman63 had a similar issue (knocking noise-his was quite loud) and went through the same replacements as you but when he put it on a ramp and had someone rock the van, he spotted something else. Unfortunately, for the life of me, I cannot remember what he found/what the resolution was. He had not long replaced his shocks when lowering. Sorry can't be more help…maybe some patient searching on his posts will yield results unless someone else remembers what it was!

Of course, it may become a mute point as the top mount and shock change may well cure it.

Last edited:
If I remember rightly, his problem was bushes. I have checked mine as well as I can but everything points to either top mount or shock (or both) on the nearside front. The problem has was bad when I first got the van and seemed to get better of it's own volition. What it actually did was take both the suspension arms and the track rod arm with it. They were that bad there was visible movement in the wheel and there was no more knocking as most of the joints had collapsed! lol

Now everything is brand new the knock is back with a vengeance.

Decided on the Sachs as from reviews around the web opinions seemed to be quite even on the Sachs and Bilsteins...that and I managed to get them for £50 each!

I've been impressed with the B6 on my Jeep.

Are you using std or lowering springs ?

Currently mine doesn't compare to my old T4 on Gaz adj.

I'm on B4's all round and I like the ride, my old ones were Sachs and softer, made the van wallow I thought.. now its nice and taught.. a tad over firm, but you soon get used to it.. but you can chuck it around a lot more and it takes it,

Wot Jeep have you got?

Yup, on "New" Standard springs..

Got the 2.7 CRD myself, and its been a godsend in this weather.. Just got the Addco bar for the rear, been having handling problems for sometime now...

Thanks.

That's some coincidence... I've been thinking about getting a rear arb.

But I've got worn bushes which I'm thinking of upgrading to poly before trying the arb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom