W639 jump start procedure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
Vito 111C
Is there anything in particular I need to know.? Is the battery under the drivers seat..? Should I connect straight to positive pole and then a good earth as usual..?

Cheers

Mike

Check the handbook to be on the safe side. The battery in mine is under the passenger seat, there may be a 'live' connection point under the bonnet (rather than you hooking up directly to the battery).

I would have thought they'd put positive and negative contacts in the engine compartment for "improved accessibility". (To quote the owner's manual for my W209).

Same thing in my Skyline, where the battery is in the boot. - Connectors under the bonnet to jump start the car.

Jump start is going to damage a part in the electronics on your car , if your going to jump stert someone else ,.. Remenber i said someones car .

As above.

Ideally you will jump-start the car from an external battery that is NOT connected to another vehicle.

Otherwise damage could be caused to either or both car's electronics (I think on Mercs it's the front SAM that usually goes).

I used the term 'could' because it's a bit of Russian Roulette... there's a 4 in 5 chance that you'll get away with it... but it's a risk not worth taking.

Open the Vito's fuse box. Start the other vehicle and connect the positive lead to it and then to the positive terminal in the fuse box of the Vito. Then connect the earth lead to the vehicle and then to the earth lead on the side of the Vito's fuse box. Then start the Vito. All set out in the manual no need to go any where near the Vito's battery.

Many recommend turning on the headlights of the vehicle to be jumped to try to prevent any surges frying the ECU or other sensitive electronics. The theory is that any surge should blow he headlight bulb rather than other stuff.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

It's probably not the surge as much as a "brown out". - The voltage drop as one battery is trying to power two cars at once, and all the 12V electronics are suddenly expected to run at 10V.

Hello chaps. Followed the advice in the handbook (and that of Marku) and all good. Nothing damaged apparently. Everything working as it should. Now off to get battery inspected.

Thanks for all the advice and info chaps

Mike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom