W639 LED Bulbs for headlamps?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bally12345

Car
Mercedes Benz Vito 2016 (Taxi)
Have a 2016 Vito W639 113 BLUE-CY LSM CDI A

Which needed H7 bulbs replacing. So decided to get some LED replacement from Amazon but there doesn't appear to be any way to fit them due to the weird clip on the original bulbs.

Anyone done this or have any suggestions? The LED bulbs come with the ring adapter which is meant to secure to the headlamp fitting but on this lamp it looks like I need to use this extra clip that won't fit the led lamp.

LED bulbs are not designed to fit in the headlamps you have.

What would cause it to be MOT failure? Beam pattern will be correct and cut off will be fine too.

Looks like I'm missing the retaining clips so can't install anyway.

Might aswell return and get some philips or night breakers.

Might aswell return and get some philips or night breakers.
Best idea.
MoT failure as the headlamp unit isn't type approved for use with LEDs
From the MoT tester's manual..
"Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible."

What would cause it to be MOT failure? Beam pattern will be correct and cut off will be fine too.

Looks like I'm missing the retaining clips so can't install anyway.

Might aswell return and get some philips or night breakers

Mercedes make a specific headlamp design for LED bulbs.

Just because you may be able to physically fit the bulb isn't an indication that it is suitable (or legal)

If you look at the point where the majority of the light is emitted for a Halogen bulb it is generally very different to that of an LED and therefore the complex curves of reflectors and lenses are different.

The beam pattern will be different and more scattered.

Last edited:
Why do you think it is suitable for LED bulbs?

Mercedes make a specific headlamp design for LED bulbs.

Just because you may be able to physically fit the bulb isn't an indication that it is suitable (or legal)

If you look at the point where the majority of the light is emitted for a Halogen bulb it is generally very different to that of an LED and therefore the complex curves of reflectors and lenses are different.
Blame the retailers mate. I googled H7 bulbs and was flooded with LED alternatives including from Halfords.

Either way I went with these
OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER LASER H7, +150% more brightness, halogen headlight lamp, 64210NL-HCB, 12V, duo box (2 lamps) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FXRDJV7/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_Q82H012XCJC571KJN00P

Blame the retailers mate. I googled H7 bulbs and was flooded with LED alternatives including from Halfords.

Either way I went with these
OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER LASER H7, +150% more brightness, halogen headlight lamp, 64210NL-HCB, 12V, duo box (2 lamps) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FXRDJV7/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_Q82H012XCJC571KJN00P
I know.

They don't care as long as they get a sale or they will state in very small text "Suitable for off road use only"

Good luck with the Night breakers etc.

Never heard it called a head rest before..................... :dk:

Have a word with Quicksilver Automotive They'll advise you accurately, there MAY be a way to do it. I'd think very carefully before buying bulbs from Amazon.

I was trying to raise the tone! 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom