W639 Rear Diffs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Budgie63

Car
Vito X Sport
I believe my rear diff in my 122CDI is starting to knock (planet pin). I use the Vito more like a car being the x-sport and hardly have any weight in it And cover many motorway miles.

Before I have the rear diff repaired I was thinking if I could run a different crown wheel and pinion from another Mercedes that will fit in the Vito diff housing. I would prefer if the revs would come down a little more car like. I understand the diff it currently has is the lowest for a Vito, but my thinking is that I have as much power as a car with the v6 CDI, so it should cope with a lower gear ratio, or is it all in the gearbox? it is currently remapped to a supposedly 260 odd BHP so it should cope ok. Not looking for much more of a difference but just a little less revvy then it is at the moment.

so:
a) is there another crown wheel and pinion that will fit my diff casing that will be a lower ratio then I have?
b) if there is, would it bring up problems with the cars electrics? ie, is the speed calculated before or after the diff etc...

thank you in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom