W639 Viano - Plastic box under drivers seat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

agoodman

Car
Viano
Hi, I've got a 2008 W639 Viano which I've only had a few weeks. I've noticed there's a plastic box fitted beneath the front half of the driver's seat (in the same position as the battery is under the passenger seat). Can anyone help by telling me what it is? I can't tell from the outside end that I can see. Thanks, Andy.

Most like it's an add on by a previous owner.
In the Vitos and Viano I've owned I haven't seen such.
I do use tupperware style box/es to keep things in below the seat myself though.

Have you got a picture?? I reckon I know what it is!! Or maybe should be!

Afraid not - I dropped it into the garage for a week yesterday. It's a black plastic enclosure, very solid and securely fixed (although I can't see how). It looks like it was probably an original Mercedes option. I'm fairly sure it has a joint between top and bottom halves about half way up, and screws holding the two halves together around the edge. It looks like it fills the space under the front half of the seat so about the same size as a battery. The right side plastic seat base cover has also got an original looking mesh vent fitted. Not sure if that's standard or not but the passenger side doesn't have one.

I've got the vin number and have looked up the options fitted, just can't guess what this might be! I've not managed to find any photos that look similar on the web.

So what are you thinking?

They fit the sub under the seat which is a box.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: m80
Hi, thanks for your reply and sorry it took a while to respond... I've finally got it back and have taken the below photos. The fins on top look fairly heavy duty to me for a sub but wouldn't really know, I guess they could be on an amp.

So what do you think now?

20190519_162428-756x1008.jpg 20190519_162436-1008x756.jpg 20190519_162444-756x1008.jpg 20190519_162449-1008x756.jpg

If it is a sub I don't think it's working. The head unit's been changed to an xtrons one though so maybe it's not been connected...

Are you going to wire it up??

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I'm actually thinking it may be working now. I've not tried to convince myself either way yet, but think i can feel it vibrating and think the fins are getting a bit warm, so it's looking likely. Bit annoying though as I was hoping to get rid of it and fit a leisure battery there, but don't want to reduce the sound quality now!

I'm actually thinking it may be working now. I've not tried to convince myself either way yet, but think i can feel it vibrating and think the fins are getting a bit warm, so it's looking likely. Bit annoying though as I was hoping to get rid of it and fit a leisure battery there, but don't want to reduce the sound quality now!

Depensing how its wired up it could be part of the E66 sound package in a Viano. It would be interesting to see ur Data card..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom